Research Assistant in Medicine
Basic Medical Sciences / Population Medicine Department
Qatar University Profile:
Qatar University is the premier national institution of higher education with a mission to produce well-rounded graduates with academic knowledge of quality and excellence coupled with a keen spirit of volunteerism and civic responsibility. This is underpinned by committed leadership and an experienced and motivated faculty and staff body.
The College of Medicine is the eighth college of Qatar University and was founded in October 2014. It is fully aligned with Qatar’s national strategies in Education and Health, as well as Qatar University’s strategic plan. The College of Medicine will admit the first cohort of students in Fall 2015 and will utilize an innovative ability-based curriculum and a student-centered approach to teaching and learning to provide the knowledge and skills necessary to graduate competent physicians to meet the health care needs of society. The College will offer a 6-year medical program, leading to an MD degree that will enable graduates to pursue advanced clinical training. Graduates will be prepared by the College of Medicine to sit for international medical licensing exams to ensure their seamless transition into the next phases of their medical careers. The College will contribute to medical education, patient care, medical research, and community outreach in Qatar. We intend to build an active, culturally and academically diverse faculty of the highest caliber, skilled in the scholarship of teaching, discovery, application and integration of knowledge. See our website at www.qu.edu.qa/medicine for further information.
Duties & Responsibilities
BASIC FUNCTION AND RESPONSIBILITY
- Research Assistant functions are to manage operations of the laboratory and core facilities.
- To ensure that the laboratory and core facilities are always fully operational, equipment is properly maintained and the premises are maintained according to all requirements (safety, work environment, ordering, standard operation procedures, etc).
- To ensure efficient work of the core facilities.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsibility for maintaining research platforms and core facilities in the Research Laboratories of the College of Medicine.
- Promote, facilitate and assist users of the Research Laboratory, e.g. service-oriented responsibility. It includes support to the Health Cluster of QU.
- Documentation of management a medical/biomedical laboratory. Documentation may be, but is not limited to, monitoring of deliveries and outputs of the Research Laboratories.
- Managing day-to-day operations in the Research Laboratories, e.g. ensure that the Research Laboratories infrastructure is fully operational.
- Contribute to development of practical applications, including high-technological start-ups of QU.
- The RA is expected to take an active role in promoting the medical proteomics core facilities in Qatar for solving Qatari priority challenges.
- Performing research project(s) is highly encouraged.
For core facility managers:
- Management of equipment of the core facilities. Maintenance of the core facilities will be the main duty of these candidates; the core facilities have to be operational 24/7.
- Management of users and customers of the core facility, service to the College, Cluster and QU, as well as to external users and customers.
- Ensure sustainability of the core facility, by constant development of provided services, research and delivering high level results. Attraction of customers.
- Administration duties will be required.
- Supervision of projects.
- Research project(s) are required.
- The RA is expected to take an active role in promoting the core facilities in Qatar for solving Qatari priority challenges.
- Keep records of all activities according to the rules and regulations at CMED and QU.
- Prepare regular reports on all activities.
Direction is received from designated official.
- The minimal requirements are a Bachelor degree and documented and proven experience of a lab manager or core facility manager.
- This RA/LabManager/Core facility manager should have proven records of a broad international experience, e.g. managing international customers.
- This RA/Lab Manager/Core facility manager should have proven and documented experience in research works, e.g. research papers.
- Curriculum Vitea with cover letter.
- Experience Certificates.
- At least three references including contact numbers and email addresses.
- Current Curriculum Vitea.
- Cover letter.
- Teaching, research, and service philosophy.
- Three referees’ contact information (physical and email addresses as well their telephones contact).
- Copy of highest earned credential (transcript of highest degree if graduated from an institution where course work was completed. However, if no course work was completed, an copy of certificate letter from the registrar of your highest credential granting institution regarding your highest academic degree).
- Any additional documentation that you feel is relevant to your application.
- Competitive tax-free salary.
- Housing allowance in accordance with HRM Law.
- Annual round trip air tickets for candidate and dependents according to HRM Law.
- Public health care and health insurance to candidate and family members.
- Annual leave in accordance with HRM Law.
- End-of-contract indemnity.
- A three-year renewable contract.
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
- Tax-free salary.
- Furnished accommodation in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual round trip air tickets for faculty member and dependents in accordance with QUHR policies.
- Educational allowance for candidate's children (eligible candidates only) in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Private health care and health insurance in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual leave in accordance with QU HR policies.
- End-of-contract indemnity.
How To Apply
- Returning Applicant: Please login to update/edit your saved profile. Use this profile to apply for this position.
- New Applicant: You need to setup an account with QU Recruitment Online System and complete your personal profile. Once your profile is complete you may use it to apply for an open Position.