Chemist in Material Analysis
Chemist for material analysis in the Technology Department, Vacuum Surfaces and Coatings Group, Surfaces Coatings and Chemistry Section.
You will join:
The Surface Coatings and Chemistry section (SCC), taking care of the surface and chemical analyses, the thin film coatings by PVD and surface finishing. The chemical laboratory provides CERN-wide support for the chemistry related issues encountered in developments and regular operation of the accelerators. It ranges from identification of chemical contamination in Ultra High Vacuum systems, evaluation of aging of polymers, gas analysis for diagnostics related to particle detectors, identification of pollutants hindering a proper operation of the dedicated waste water treatment plant, qualification of cooling fluids and development of chemical treatments or materials for the accelerators.
As a Material Science/Chemical Engineer or Chemist in the TE-VSC-SCC Section, you will:
- Perform material analysis in the chemistry laboratory at CERN, give advice on the best techniques to be applied and contribute to the improvement of the equipment and methods.
- Take the opportunity to join and promote R&D projects related to chemistry in the domain of accelerator technology, as for instance qualifying new appropriate gases/liquids for electronics refrigeration, improving radiation resistance of organic materials, monitoring cleanliness of ultra-high-vacuum systems.
- Collaborate with the surface finishing team for the chemical analyses related to quality control and developments.
- Get the support from the teams in charge of other CERN facilities, as the surface analysis, the electron microscopy and metallurgy team.
- Interact with the CERN collaborators to provide guidance in chemistry related matter.
- Have the possibility in the future to coach technical students and PhD students.
- Stimulate the collaborations with external institutes to access techniques, which are not available at CERN.
- Document the work in scientific and technical reports or publications.
PhD in Chemistry or MSc with equivalent experience.
Experience and competencies
The experience required for this post is:
- Proven experience of chemical analytical methods applied to organic and inorganic compounds, gases, liquids and solids by FTIR, GC-MS, ICP-OES, DSC, XRF and classical wet chemistry methods.
- Proven experience in analysis instrumentation as advanced user.
- Proven experience in leading scientific projects or technological developments.
- Industrial experience or equivalent experience in research institute would be an advantage.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Knowledge of organic materials and polymers.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Working in teams: works well in groups and readily fits into a team; participates fully and takes an active role in team activities.
- Communicating effectively: provides others with timely information.
- Achieving results: has a structured and organised approach towards work; is able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind.
- Learning and sharing knowledge: shares knowledge and expertise freely and willingly with others; coaches others to ensure knowledge transfer. Keeps up-to-date with developments in own field of expertise and readily absorbs new information.
The language competencies required are:
- Good knowledge of English is required; Ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports and to make oral presentations.
- Basic knowledge of French or an undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success.
We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 22.04.2018.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry.
Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in radiation controlled areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.