Lecturer in Philosophy
Faculty of Arts, Business, Law and Education
School of Humanities
- 3 year opportunity at level B ($97,310 - $115,350) plus 17% superannuation
- Bring your expertise in Philosophy of Science, Metaphysics or Logic
- Philosophy of time and/or artificial intelligence highly regarded
- Ability to teach history of philosophy is desirable
The University of Western Australia (UWA) is ranked amongst the top 100 universities in the world and a member of the prestigious Australian Group of Eight research-intensive universities. With an enviable research track record, vibrant campus and working environments, supported by the freedom to 'innovate and inspire' there is no better time to join Western Australia's top University.
About the team
The School of Humanities offers a rich teaching and research environment spanning the disciplines of Philosophy, Classics and Ancient History, History, English and Cultural Studies and European Languages and Studies. As well as undergraduate and postgraduate programs, the School supports an active research program. The Discipline of Philosophy offers postgraduate and undergraduate programs in analytic philosophy broadly construed. The Discipline of Philosophy is committed to developing research and teaching collaborations with other disciplines both within the School of Humanities and across the University
About the opportunity
This is an opportunity for a specialist in philosophy of Science, Metaphysics or Logic to contribute to research and teaching in the areas of philosophy of time and/or artificial intelligence. An ability to teach some of the history of philosophy is also desirable. In this role, you will:
- Develop, co-ordinate and deliver undergraduate and postgraduate teaching in the discipline of Philosophy
- Contribute to curriculum management and development of the major in collaboration with other members of the discipline of Philosophy and the Discipline Chair.
- Supervise and recruit Honours and Postgraduate level research students.
- Produce high quality research in Philosophy, and actively represent the University and the School domestically and internationally in scholarly conferences and through publishing in high-quality academic journals.
- Apply for relevant external funding to support the research programs and strategic emerging research areas of the School.
Contribute to the broader Philosophy curriculum and other key teaching areas according to the needs of the School.
To be considered for this role, you will demonstrate:
- PhD in Philosophy. Preference will be given to candidates with expertise in Metaphysics, and whose research expertise falls within one of the strategic research initiatives of the School of Humanities.
- Ability to develop, coordinate and teach undergraduate units in Philosophy.
- Commitment to pursue the best educational practices and to implement institutional goals.
- Ability to relate well to staff and students at all levels and evidence of a commitment to equity and diversity principles.
- Ability to attract research funding and build research collaboration
- Ability to supervise Honours and Postgraduate students
Benefits and Conditions of Employment:
- Employer contribution to superannuation is 17% of salary
- Recreation leave of 20 working days per annum
- Long Service Leave after 10 years
- Eligibility for sabbatical leave
- Relocation assistance including airfares, relocation allowance and short-term accommodation (if applicable)
Position remains open until filled. Applications will be reviewed fortnightly.
This position is open to international applicants who require visa sponsorship.
Application Details: Please apply online via the Apply Now button.
- UWA has been awarded Top Ten Employer for LGBTI – inclusion of the Australian Workplace Equity Index (AWEI -2016).
- The University is also a proud member of the Athena SWAN/SAGE Pilot for Gender Equity.