Postdoctoral Fellow in Social Anthropology
There is a temporary position available at the Department of Social Anthropology, Faculty of Social and Educational Science, NTNU, as Postdoctoral Fellow in Social Anthropology for a period of two years. This fixed-term position has the primary goal of qualifying for work in professional academic chair positions.
The department currently employs 2 Professors, 9 Associate Professors, 3 Postdocs. and 4 PhD candidates. The department’s research is organized in four research groups: Culture, Innovation and Future; Migration, Mobility and Settlement; Global Inequality; and Anthropology of Organization and Sustainability.
The postdoctoral position will be associated with the department’s research group Culture, Innovation and Future. The long-time goal for this research group is to develop theoretical and empirical anthropological knowledge on cultural aspects of technology, creativity and innovation, including imagination of futures.
For the postdoc. we encourage a project which can contribute to the development of anthropological theory related to empirical findings from emerging and non-traditional anthropological contexts like digital ethnography. In particular we will welcome a comparative approach to control rooms (in, e.g., science, security, air and marine operations, media productions, traffic control, medicine), examining their usage, history, design, work, applications, etc. Topically some potential issues could be around technological innovations (not at least emerging hi-techs) as related to power and disempowerment, surveillance and control, production and implementation, communication and cooperation, etc. We are also open to candidates with individual projects that can contribute to the furthering of the research group’s existing research agenda and competence.
In support of the research group’s overall goal, we are seeking applications from suitably qualified candidates to undertake research, to publish peer-reviewed articles and book chapters, to participate in development of grant applications, and to participate in the group’s network, meetings and events.
- A Norwegian PhD, or a foreign PhD approved as equivalent to a Norwegian PhD, in Social Anthropology or related field. It is a condition for employment that the PhD has been awarded prior to employment start date.
- Experience with ethnographic research is desirable.
- The candidate will have outstanding research skills along with outstanding team working skills.
- Personal qualifications such as being structured and independent.
Personal skills and motivation to contribute to a good working environment will be ascribed high importance. In addition, good cooperating and communication skills, a strong research network, as well as ability to initiate research projects will be regarded positively in the evaluation process.
Salary and working conditions
The postdoctoral fellow, code 1352, will be paid according to salary scale 24 in the national salary scheme, gross NOK 490 900 per year, of which 2 % is deducted for the State Pension Scheme.
Employment will be activated in accordance to existing regulations of 31.01.2006.
The appointment is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants. The employee is expected to accept possible changes in work tasks.
Primary residence in Trondheim is a prerequisite.
A good work environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified candidates to apply regardless of gender, disabilities or cultural background. NTNU is an inclusive workplace.
- A professionally stimulating, open and including working environment.
- Attractive welfare benefits and a generous pension agreement.
- Trondheim’s family-friendly environment with its rich opportunities for culture and outdoor activities.
Applications should include:
- Project description of 2-5 pages, including publication plan
- A list of publications
- Relevant samples of publications (no more than five).
- A CV with information on education, previous research experience, together with authorized documentation of certificates and study records.
Joint work will be evaluated. If it is difficult to identify the contributions from individuals in a join piece of work, applicants should enclose a short descriptive summary of what he/she contributed to the work.
Applicants with a diploma from a foreign university are advised to provide an explanation of the university's grading system. Please note that all documents should be translated in English or in a Scandinavian language.
Information about the applicants may be open to public inspection as provided by the Freedom of Information Act.
Further information about the position is available by contacting Professor Stein E. Johansen at the Department of Social Anthropology, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
For information about processing of applications, please contact HR, Aaste Line Strand, e-mail:email@example.com
An application including attachments should be sent electronically through: www.jobbnorge.no. Applications received elsewhere and/or after the application deadline will not be taken into consideration.
The reference number of the position is: SU-138
About this job
- Deadline Wednesday, April 18, 2018
- Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
- Municipality Trondheim
- Place of service Dragvoll
- Jobbnorge ID 150042
- Internal ID 2018/6429
- Scope Fulltime
- Duration Fixed Term
- Applications on this job are registered in an electronic form on jobbnorge.no
- You must complete: Academic CV
- Please refer to where you first saw this job advertised!