The Veterinary Technician will ensure quality veterinary care for all research animals at all facilities, at both Boston University Medical Campus and Charles River Campus in accordance with Animal Welfare Act, the "Guide for the Care & Use of Laboratory Animals", NIH & PHS policies & guidelines and other applicable institutional, local, state regulations and policies.
- Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in life science discipline or veterinary technology. Degree obtained from a school that is accredited by an organization that is recognized either by CHEA or by the United States Department of Education(USDE) or both.
- AALAS certification at LAT level
- Preferred LATg or goal of achieving LATg within one year of hire is desirable.
- Certified Veterinary Technician or eligible to sit for VTNE exam is desirable but not required.
- A combination of relevant work and/or experience may be considered.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Preferred 1-3 years of proven laboratory animal handling and experience.
- This position will require working in the ABSL-3 environment.
- Preferred previous experience working in veterinary setting, laboratory or veterinary hospital.
- Basic animal handling, health assessment, and nursing care for rodents and other commonly used laboratory animals preferred. Proficiency in animal studies including IP, IV, SQ injections, oral gavage, animal handling, proper restraint, rodent weaning, genotyping, ear tagging, blood collection, surgical preparation for different species, pre, peri, and post-operative observations, euthanasia, and rodent rederivation.
- Excellent communication skills/customer service experience.
- PC computer and software experience preferred.
- Must be able to follow verbal and written instructions and exhibit interpersonal skills that are conducive to effective communication and that contribute to a congenial work environment.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Boston University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
Job Location BOSTON, Massachusetts, United States
Position Type Full-Time/Regular