Professor of Digitisation of Communication
- Full Time
Professor of Digitisation of Communication
The Department of Communication and Arts (DCA), Roskilde University, invites applications for a position as Professor of Digitisation of Communication from 1 September 2018, or as soon as possible thereafter.
In announcing a Professorship in Digitisation of Communication, DCA wishes to strengthen our research and teaching in processes of digitalisation of communication as it pertains to a range of contexts, e.g. civic society, organisations, public relations, collaboration and knowledge-production, or communication ethics. Candidates must have made an original contribution in specific areas including (but not limited to) computer-mediated communication, machine learning and A.I., social and mobile media, digital humanities, and/or critical studies of digital technology.
DCA is an innovative and interdisciplinary university environment, characterised by diversity with respect to theory, method and area of study in research and education. The department produces knowledge that contributes to critical research and reflexive practice in relation to development and change in society, including public institutions, private organizations, NGOs, and cultural and media institutions. In the Communication Studies section of DCA, research and teaching cover a plurality of theoretical traditions (for example, sociocultural, critical, rhetorical, phenomenological and pragmatic traditions) and empirical areas of study (for example, dialogic and participatory, digital, intercultural, organisational, political, mass mediated, science, strategic and visual communication). Read more here.
Responsibilities and tasks
The Professor’s main tasks are to undertake research and research-based teaching with particular emphasis on the digitisation of communication.
The ideal candidate is expected to maintain a significant record of publications, to inspire research achievement and to encourage and develop a research culture within one of DCA’s research groups. You will also be expected to secure research grants and engage in research networks. You will be required to teach, supervise and assess students at BA and MA levels as well as PhD students. This also implies developing the field in relation to teaching. As professor, you will be required to participate in post-doctoral training and be responsible for the supervision of Assistant Professors as well as take part in academic assessments. The position also requires sharing knowledge with the rest of society, including participation in public debate.
The professor will be expected to play a leading role in one of the research groups at DCA, collaborate with colleagues, and participate in the daily activities of the department as an active and engaged colleague. You will also be expected to contribute substantially to the development of the field of Communication Studies and to build international research networks.
Applicants must hold a PhD degree or equivalent within Communication Studies, Digital Humanities, Science and Technology Studies, or other relevant fields. In addition, the following qualifications are required:
- documented academic qualifications such as an Associate Professor equivalent in relation to Communication Studies, Digital Humanities, Science and Technology Studies, or other relevant fields,
- documented record of original academic production at an international level,
- documented contribution to research field,
- documented record with respect to dissemination of research and knowledge-sharing.
In addition to the above required qualifications, consideration will be given to:
- documented record with respect to research management,
- documented record with respect to applying for, and securing, research grants.
You must have a command of Danish (or Swedish/Norwegian) that is sufficient to teach and supervise effortlessly in Danish, and to participate in administrative and collegial activities. Applicants, who do not master Danish at the present moment, will be expected to acquire a sufficient level within 2-3 years.
In the assessment of the candidates consideration will be given to:
- research topic in relation to digitisation of communication,
- original academic production at an international level in relation to Communication Studies, Digital Humanities, Science and Technology Studies, or other relevant fields,
- contribution to the development of the field(s),
- experience with providing adaptive leadership in the development of research and teaching,
- ability to communicate research and share research-based knowledge,
- documented experience in securing research grants,
- documented experience in teaching and education,
- international academic experience, e.g. editing journals, book series or anthologies, organizing conferences and/or seminars,
- ability to engage in collaboration within DCA and with external partners in relevant practice fields and research networks,
For further information about the position, please contact Ib T. Gulbrandsen (Head of Studies), email@example.com, tel. (+45) 4674 3883 / (+45) 6195 1148.
Terms of employment
The position is full-time.
The position will be filled according to the Agreement between the Danish Ministry of Finance and the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations (AC) and Job Structure for Academic Staff at Universities.
Commencing salary will be minimum DKK 605.529 per year (1st December 2017 level) plus pension contribution (17,1 %).
After the deadline for applications the Head of Department will shortlist applicants for assessment with assistance from the recruitment committee including the chairperson of the assessment committee.
Shortly after the application deadline all applicants will be notified whether or not their application has been selected for assessment.
The shortlisted applicants will be informed about the composition of the assessment committee, and each applicant will be given the opportunity to comment on the composition of the committee and - later on - their assessment.
Once the recruitment process is completed, all applicants will be informed of the outcome of their application.
To apply for the position go to www.ruc.dk/en/job/
Only applications in English are accepted.
Applications must include:
1. Cover letter
3. Documentation of education
3. Teaching portfolio (read more about teaching portfolio at Roskilde University here)
4. A complete list of publications
6. A maximum of 7 relevant scientific works that you want included in the assessment.
If any of the publications that you want included in the assessment are the result of a joint effort, the extent and the nature of your contribution to each individual work must then be clarified in a co-author statement (find template here)
7. Documentation of additional research qualifications, including
- experience in research management or other managerial functions
- track record in fundraising
Please submit your application no later than 20-04-2018.
Material received after this date will not be taken into consideration.
Roskilde University wishes to reflect the diversity of society and welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.