Data Scientist (Machine Learning) - KTP Associate
University of the West of Scotland in Partnership with Modo Systems Limited
SCHOOL OF ENGINEERING & COMPUTING
Data Scientist (Machine Learning) - KTP Associate
Salary Up to £35,000 and £4,000 personal development budget
Based in Glasgow,
Fixed Term 24 Months
- 24 month fixed term post with potential for permanent employment;
- Opportunity to register free of charge for a Higher Degree (Ph.D.)
- Gain management experience and training;
- Apply your degree and lead your own project in a business;
- Work with senior company management to realise benefits to the business;
The School of Engineering & Computing at UWS is well established and an internationally recognised academic centre.
Modo Systems, an innovative high growth software business founded by an experienced management team, has created and developed MODO - a new award-winning digital experience service to unify multiple cloud storage, email, photo and social media services. MODO’S mission is to be a horizontal service which helps anybody affected by digital clutter, anywhere in the world – from busy families and students in China to business executives in UK and creatives in the US. It is a perfect solution for both individuals and enterprises. MODO will change the way we store and retrieve digital files - a field of exponential growth.
Modo Systems is now seeking to develop an advanced machine learning algorithm which goes beyond just a photo tagging service. Based on their existing technology and research, Modo Systems plan to introduce artificial intelligence to include analysing, tagging and automatically captioning of images and video content. MODO will undertake contextual analysis of the content and make recommendations and suggestions for the content to be shared or used based on the tasks a user is carrying out.
MODO can then be used to enhance the data mining techniques to better understand social changes and assess personal security threats. Modo Systems is growing rapidly at its Glasgow HQ (based in a modern recently refurbished building) and co-located with some of Scotland’s most innovative software development companies. The business is currently completing a seven-figure funding round to accelerate international growth.
Find out more by visiting: https://www.modo.net/index
University of the West of Scotland (UWS) and Modo Systems are pleased to offer this exciting KTP Associate opportunity to a post graduate in Computer Science/Software Engineering/Information Technology or with a relevant degree involving a significant amount of software development. Given the strategic importance of the project, Modo Systems have indicated the potential to retain the Data Scientist post-KTP project; subject to performance.
The successful candidate will be a trusted member of the research and development team and will be expected, with support from a highly cooperative community of academic experts, to be responsible for the following:-
- Strategic assessment of the technical challenges and business opportunities of the current MODO application;
- Technical review and design specification to deliver a prototype;
- Develop the MODO application content based image retrieval framework using deep learning techniques.
Additional internationally recognised academic support will be provided by a close community of industry-focused inter-disciplinary research groups (AVCN and AHCSE) and the successful applicant should exhibit entrepreneurial flair, and proactively communicate with researchers throughout the University.
This position forms part of the Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP) funded by Innovate UK. It’s essential you understand how KTP works with business and the University, and the vital role you will play if you successfully secure a KTP Associate position. Please visit: www.ktpws.org.uk or contact Stuart Mckay (firstname.lastname@example.org)
The successful candidate must possess:
- As a minimum, educated to post graduate level in Computer Science/Software Engineering/Information Technology or a relevant degree that combines aspects of software development
- Experience of software development in C/C++, Python or Matlab and familiarity with the following technologies would be an advantage: Artificial neural network, deep learning, Artificial Intelligence, Big Data, Image/Video search and retrieval
- Knowledge of programming language C/C++, Python, APIs (client and server); Cloud infrastructure; Cordova; git; GNU/Linux; HTML/CSS; MariaDB/MySQL; Mathematical modelling; Perl; PHP; Scalable services; Vanilla JS
Essential skills we require as a minimum:
- Organisational skills with the ability to plan under own initiative and to work to deadlines
- Good communication and interpersonal skills including report writing
- Ability to collaborate with colleagues and sharing expertise.
- Strong analytical and numerical skills
- Ability to understand and process data
Further information, including details of how to apply is available at http://www.uws.ac.uk/about-uws/jobs
Closing date: Wednesday 12th April 2018
Interviews to be held week commencing 16th April 2018
UWS is committed to equality and diversity and welcomes applications from underrepresented groups.
UWS is a “Disability Confident” employer.
University of the West of Scotland is a registered Scottish charity, no. SC002520