Professor in Arabic Linguistics
7 days left
- Full Time
Department of Arabic Language
Qatar University Profile:
Qatar University is the premier national institution of higher education with a mission to produce well-rounded graduates with academic knowledge of quality and excellence coupled with a keen spirit of volunteerism and civic responsibility.
This is underpinned by committed leadership and an experienced and motivated faculty and staff body.
The College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) houses ten departments, covering a wide range of undergraduate specializations in the Arts and Sciences including English Literature & Linguistics and Arabic Languages, History, Sociology, Social Work, International Affairs, Mass Communication , Psychology , Policy, Planning & Development , Statistics, Chemistry, Biological Sciences, Environmental Sciences, Public Health , Biomedical Sciences and Human Nutrition. The College also houses four Master Programs which are in Environmental Sciences, Biomedical Sciences, Gulf Studies, and Arabic Language. In Fall 2013, CAS will launch a new master program in Material Sciences and a PhD in Biological and Environmental Sciences. Additionally, the College offers a Program of Arabic for Non- Native Speakers.
It is worth mentioning that as members of QU, CAS faculty members have excellent opportunities to secure intramural and extramural funding for their research ideas. Qatar National Research Fund (QNRF) is major source of research funding, with individual project funding limit exceeding 1 million/project (5 million exceptional projects) along with student research funding programs. As the national and largest University in the country, Qatar University is the recipient of most of QNRF awards, with many research- active faculty members able to win multiple grants.
Due to Qatar's university continuing development efforts towards excellence in academic performance, there is no doubt that filling a " Professor of Linguistics " place needs person with a long academic experience in the effective teaching methods and with an ability of providing a reliable and well-established researches, and writing in the field of Linguistics, especially the modern critical theories in Linguistics that were developed from a various philosophical schools, and have left a significant impact in the global critical studies scene. This will be considered a worthy addition in the professor that Arabic language masters students would benefit from it. Also, being fluent in English and having the ability to adopt the technology in teaching methods and being updated and informed to all kind of educational information and recent researches will ultimately develop the critical thinking skills and abilities in masters student. That’s why we believe that all the previous descriptions are a must conditions to be available.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Teach courses in the area of expertise
- Contribute to various committees at the Program, College, and University level
- Contribute to the research profile of College through research publications
- Serve as student advisor
- Other responsibilities as assigned by the Head of Department
- Ph. D. in the Relevant disciplinary area(With at least three years in the rank of Associate Professor – Grammar & Morphology
- Strong peer reviewed publication record
- Teaching experience at tertiary level
- Familiar with Educational technologies used in higher education sector
- Willingness to work with teams
- Awareness of working with people from diverse backgrounds
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Current Curriculum Vitae.
- Cover letter.
- Teaching, research, and service philosophy.
- Three referees’ contact information (physical and email addresses as well their telephones contact).
- Copy of highest earned credential (transcript of highest degree if graduated from an institution where course work was completed. However, if no course work was completed, an copy of certificate letter from the registrar of your highest credential granting institution regarding your highest academic degree).
- Any additional documentation that you feel is relevant to your application.
- A three-year renewable contract.
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
- Tax-free salary.
- Furnished accommodation in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual round trip air tickets for faculty member and dependents in accordance with QUHR policies.
- Educational allowance for candidate's children (eligible candidates only) in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Private health care and health insurance in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual leave in accordance with QU HR policies.
- End-of-contract indemnity.
How To Apply
- Returning Applicant: Please login to update/edit your saved profile. Use this profile to apply for this position.
- New Applicant: You need to setup an account with QU Recruitment Online System and complete your personal profile.Once your profile is complete you may use it to apply for an open Position.