Research Associate in Humanities
Center for Humanities and Social Sciences
Qatar University Profile:
Qatar University is the national institution of higher education in Qatar. It provides high quality undergraduate and graduate programs that prepare competent graduates, destined to shape the future of Qatar. The university community has diverse and committed faculty that teaches and conduct research, which addresses relevant local and regional challenges, advances knowledge, and contributes actively to the needs and aspirations of society.
Qatar University is an intellectual and scholarly community characterized by open discussion, the free exchange of ideas, respectful debate, and a commitment to rigorous inquiry. All members of the University - faculty, staff, and students- are expected to advance the scholarly and social values embodied by the university.
The College of Arts and Sciences(CAS) houses twelve departments, covering a wide range of undergraduate specializations in the Arts and Sciences including English Literature &Linguistics and Arabic Languages, History, Sociology, Social Work,International Affairs, Mass Communication, Psychology, Policy, Planning &Development, Statistics, Chemistry, Biological Sciences, Environmental Sciences, Public Health, Biomedical Sciences, Material Science, Sports Science, and Human Nutrition. The College also houses five Master Programs, which are in Environmental Sciences, Biomedical Sciences, Gulf Studies, Material Science and Arabic Language. In Fall 2013, CAS launched a PhD in Biological and Environmental Sciences. Additionally, the College offers a Program of Arabic for Non- Native Speakers. Also it has recently established three research centers namely Center for Social Science and Humanities, Center for Sustainable Development, and Gulf Studies Center. The College started the PhD in Gulf Studies, a Master in Applied Statistics, and a Master in Public Health in Fall 2015.
It is worth mentioning that as members of QU, CAS faculty members have excellent opportunities to secure intramural and extramural funding for their research ideas. Qatar National Research Fund (QNRF) is major source of research funding, with individual project funding limit exceeding 1 million/project (5million exceptional projects) along with student research funding programs. As the national and largest University in the country, Qatar University is the recipient of most of QNRF awards, with many research- active faculty members able to win multiple grants.
Duties & Responsibilities
The College of Arts and Sciences at Qatar University, invites applications for a post of Associate Researcher In Humanities in the Center for Humanities and Social Sciences.
The main objectives of the Center are:
- Promoting and increasing collaborative multi-disciplinary and interdisciplinary research projects in the humanities and social sciences within and beyond Qatar University,
- Maximizing the rate of growth of successfully awarded research grants in the humanities and social sciences in CAS and the University,
- Supporting young researchers in CAS and the university to become more capable to conduct research in their fields,
- Providing research services as an expert clearing house for the university community, other educational institutions, government agencies and the industrial and commercial sector to improve planning, productivity and services.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following:
- Help establish and manage an interdisciplinary research program and create research agendas for the Humanities.
- Employ innovative tools of interdisciplinary research in the disciplines of the Humanities represented at Qatar University
- Develop and create research environment and hold workshops, seminars and conferences for that effect.
- Augment the dissemination of research output through publication with international standards.
- Attract and cooperate with local, regional and international researchers and research bodies in the subject area.
- Create collaborative research environment and enhance academic cooperation within the college, the university and the wider research community.
- Teach one course per semester in the relevant discipline, if requested.
- PhD in any field of the Humanities, relevance to developing research in the Gulf region given priority.
- Evidence of successful academic research and publications.
- An ability to create research programs and research agendas.
- Willingness to work with teams
- Awareness of working with people from diverse backgrounds
- Possess excellent social and communication skills including good command of Arabic/English.
- Required Documents
- Current Curriculum Vitae.
- Cover letter.
- Teaching, research, and service philosophy.
- Three referees’ contact information (physical and email addresses as well their telephones contact).
- Copy of highest earned credential (transcript of highest degree if graduated from an institution where course work was completed. However, if no course work was completed, an copy of certificate letter from the registrar of your highest credential granting institution regarding your highest academic degree).
- Any additional documentation that you feel is relevant to your application.
- A three-year renewable contract.
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
- Tax-free salary.
- Furnished accommodation in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual round trip air tickets for faculty member and dependents in accordance with QUHR policies.
- Educational allowance for candidate's children (eligible candidates only) in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Private health care and health insurance in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual leave in accordance with QU HR policies.
- End-of-contract indemnity.
How To Apply
- Returning Applicant: Please login to update/edit your saved profile. Use this profile to apply for this position.
- New Applicant: You need to setup an account with QU Recruitment Online System and complete your personal profile. Once your profile is complete you may use it to apply for an open Position.