Postdoctoral Research Associate in Polymer Chemistry
School of Life and Environmental Science
Faculty of Science
- Join an organisation that encourages progressive thinking
- Full-time, 2 years Fixed Term Employment, Camperdown/Darlington Campus
- Academic Level A, Base Salary: $90,276 p.a. plus leave loading and a generous employer’s contribution to superannuation. Visa sponsorship is available if required.
About the opportunity
Applications are invited for a Postdoctoral Research Associate (Level A) to join our research team working as a Postdoctoral Research Associate in polymer chemistry in the School of Life and Environmental Science (SOLES), at the University of Sydney. The successful candidate will take a leading role in a research project devoted to synthesising polymer-based nanoparticles designed to move across biological membranes.
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance in recruiting talent aligned to these values in the pursuit of research excellence and are seeking to recruit for a Postdoctoral Research Associate role within the SOLES who will be responsible to:
- Synthesis of tailor-made polymers for movement across cell membranes, study of their self-assembly properties and behaviours;
- Experience in the use of research methodologies relevant to polymer synthesis and characterisation of new copolymers;
- Proficient in the use of: NMR, GPC and confocal microscopy
- Experience in research record keeping, preparation of research papers and presentation of seminars.
- Published research as sole author or in collaboration.
We are looking for a Postdoctoral Research Associate with:
- PhD or equivalent
- Demonstrated ability to synthesise macromolecules and/or polymer architectures.
- Demonstrated ability to characterise the structure and physical properties of macromolecules.
- High-level problem-solving skills and technical expertise.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct research/scholarly activities under limited supervision either independently and as a member of a team.
- Ability to supervise students at the undergraduate and graduate level.
- Excellent organisational and administrative skills with attention to detail.
- Good written and verbal communication skills, and computer literacy
Since our inception 160 years ago, the University of Sydney has led to improve the world around us. We believe in education for all and that effective leadership makes lives better. These same values are reflected in our approach to diversity and inclusion, and underpin our long-term strategy for growth. We’re Australia's first university and have an outstanding global reputation for academic and research excellence. Across our campuses, we employ over 6000 academic and non-academic staff who support over 60,000 students.
We are undergoing significant transformative change which brings opportunity for innovation, progressive thinking, breaking with convention, challenging the status quo, and improving the world around us.
For more information on the position and University, please view the candidate information pack available from the job’s listing on the University of Sydney careers website.
All applications must be submitted via the University of Sydney careers website. Visit sydney.edu.au/recruitment and search by the reference number 389/0318F to apply.
Closing date: Closing date: 11:30pm 3 April 2018 (Sydney Time)
The University of Sydney is committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications from people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; equity target groups including women, people with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQ; and people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent, are encouraged.
If we think your skills are needed in other areas of the University, we will be sure to contact you about other opportunities.
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment