Lecturer and Director of the Externship Program
BOSTON UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF LAW, a top-tier law school with an international reputation, is a community of leading legal scholars, teachers, students and alumni, dedicated to providing one of the finest legal educations in the world. Since our doors opened in 1872, we have welcomed qualified men and women, without regard to background or belief. The breadth and depth of our curriculum and scholarship as well as our innovative spirit are distinctive in American legal education.
Boston University School of Law is accepting applications for the position of Director of the Externship Program and Lecturer of Law. The Director will report to the Associate Dean for Experiential Education and have oversight of the externship program now serving approximately 115 students per year.
The Director will lead the externship team in a robust and growing field placement program that enables students to gain practice experience, for academic credit, in a variety of settings across both the public and private sectors. The Director will manage and further develop the externship program by:
- Leading strategic planning efforts as the program expands including the ongoing structure and design of the program.
- Developing new externship opportunities in Boston and beyond including building relationships with field placement supervisors and recruiting excellent seminar teachers and field placement supervisors.
- Preparing training programs and materials and conducting workshops to support externship seminar teachers and field placement supervisors.
- Gathering and analyzing data to evaluate the strength and direction of the externship program and placements in meeting the needs of the law school, student demand, and current legal employment needs.
- Regularly evaluating externship seminars and specific field placements, including through site visits.
- Advising students in selecting appropriate placements and externship seminars, as well as in matters of professional development and learning from practice.
- Working with the externship faculty to plan and ensure that all externship seminars are taught in accordance with BU Law’s outcomes, current ABA standards and educational goals, and best practices.
- Teaching one seminar each semester.
- Participating in the life of the law school by participating on committees relating to externships and in regular meetings of the clinical faculty, etc.
This is a full-time non-tenure track faculty appointment to a two year initial 12-month term contract beginning July 1, 2018, with the possibility of successive appointments. Successful candidates must be licensed to practice law, have a minimum of five years post-JD legal work or law teaching experience, a strong desire to teach and mentor, robust knowledge of law office practice, and strong oral and written communication skills. Clinical teaching experience and a demonstrated commitment to working with law students is a plus.
Applicants should send a letter of interest and resume, and at least three references, to Associate Dean Peggy Maisel, Boston University School of Law, 765 Commonwealth Avenue, Boston, MA 02215. Email applications are strongly encouraged and should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. PLEASE DO NOT APPLY THROUGH THE BOSTON UNIVERSITY HR WEBSITE.
Applications received by April 2nd will receive full consideration. The position will remain open until filled. Questions should be directed to Associate Dean Peggy Maisel at email@example.com.
Boston University School of Law is committed to diversity and welcomes expressions of interest from diverse applicants. To learn more about the law school, visit our website at www.bu.edu/law.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
Job Location Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Position Type Full-Time/Regular