Research Assistant in Biomedical Sciences
- One of Australia’s leading research & teaching universities
- Vibrant campus life with a strong sense of community & inclusion
- Enjoy a career that makes a difference by collaborating & learning from the best
At UNSW, we pride ourselves on being a workplace where the best people come to do their best work.
UNSW Medicine is a national leader in learning, teaching and research, with close affiliations to a number of Australia’s finest hospitals, research institutes and health care organisations. With a strong presence at UNSW Kensington campus, the faculty have staff and students in teaching hospitals in Sydney as well as regional and rural areas of NSW including Albury/Wodonga, Wagga Wagga, Coffs Harbour and Port Macquarie.
The School of Medical Sciences (SoMS) is the largest School within UNSW Medicine, and one of the largest at UNSW. The School is based largely within the Wallace Wurth (Medicine) Building on the Kensington campus, but also includes the UNSW Lifestyle Clinic on High Street, Randwick. At UNSW, we pride ourselves on being a workplace where the best people come to do their best work.
The Stem Cell Development and Tissue Regeneration Laboratory is based in the Lowy Cancer Research Centre Building at the UNSW Kensington campus. The group has three main themes: (i) blood stem cell development and their regulation, (ii) coronary vascular development and (iii) tissue repair and regeneration. You will work in collaborative friendly laboratory on all three themes.
About the role
- $71,451K-$80,850K plus (9.5% Superannuation and annual leave loading)
- Fixed Term, 12 months with the possibility to extend for a further 2 years based on performance
- Full-time (35 hours per week)
This position is responsible for providing research support in the areas of, but not limited to studies of induced multipotent stem cell (iMS cell) generation and stem cell development in mouse embryos. This position also has a substantial support component in live cell imaging, whole organ imaging by light sheet microscopy and generating embryo chimeras.
Addition to these RA will be to
- conduct and coordinate animal experimental studies using rodent models,
- assist in flow cytometry cell sorting, live cell imaging and confocal microscopy,
- assist in cell biology and molecular biology experiments,
- assist in the execution of research plans in collaboration with the research team,
- perform administrative duties as required associated with the function of the research group,
- prepare and/or assist in the preparation of research reports and publications to agreed standards and timelines,
- collect and analyse appropriate research data to ensure key deliverables are met and
- cooperate with all health and safety policies and procedures of the university and take all reasonable care to ensure that your actions or omissions do not impact on the health and safety of yourself or others.
About the successful applicant
To be successful in this role you will:
- Evidence of strong commitment to biomedical sciences
- An honours degree in the life sciences with relevant experience or an equivalent level of knowledge gained through any combination of education, training and/or experience
- Demonstrated experience in animal handling, mouse embryo collection and the use of mouse models of disease
- Experience in the use of antibody based assays/experiments such as western blotting, flow cytometry, live cell imaging and confocal microscopy
- Demonstrated ability to work with minimum direction, to show initiative and also able to work effectively as a member of a team
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills, including the ability to liaise with people from diverse backgrounds at all levels
- High level of computer literacy
- Knowledge of health and safety responsibilities and commitment to attending relevant health and safety training
You should systematically address the selection criteria listed within the position description in your application. Please apply online - applications will not be accepted if sent to the contact listed.
Dr Vashe Chandrakanthan, Head, Stem Cell Development and Tissues Regeneration Laboratory
T:(61 2) 9385 0065
Applications close: 18 March 2018