Research Associate in Mathematics and Statistics
- Great opportunity for a recent PhD graduate to gain invaluable research experience and be part of a dedicated team working with world-class researchers in the Centre for the Mathematics of Symmetry and Computation.
- Fixed term, full time 9 month appointment
- Salary range: Level A $68,452 - $92,497 p.a. (minimum starting salary for appointee with PhD will be $92,497 p.a.)
Faculty of Engineering and Mathematical Sciences
Department of Mathematics and Statistics
Centre for the Mathematics of Symmetry and Computation
The University of Western Australia (UWA) is ranked amongst the top 100 universities in the world and a member of the prestigious Australian Group of Eight research-intensive universities. With an enviable research track record, vibrant campus and working environments, supported by the freedom to ‘innovate and inspire’ there is no better time to join Western Australia’s top University.
About the team
The Centre for the Mathematics of Symmetry and Computation (CMSC) is a UWA centre dedicated to research in algebra and combinatorics located with the School of Mathematics and Statistics. The CMSC has world class researchers, particularly in permutation group theory, computational group theory, algebraic graph theory, matroid theory, finite geometry and related topics. With a weekly seminar, annual research retreat, numerous international visitors and a collaborative atmosphere, the CMSC provides a vibrant and stimulating research environment.
About the opportunity
This position is funded by the ARC Discovery Project Grant "Symmetries of finite digraphs". The successful applicant will conduct research in the specific problems in permutation groups and graph symmetry proposed in the project.
The main theme of these problems is to develop theories for the symmetries of digraphs that are analogous to well-known results about graphs.
To be considered for this role, you will demonstrate:
- A PhD (or near completion) in a relevant field
- Research background in permutation groups or graph symmetry
- Evidence of:
- A strong ability in at least one of the following research areas: group theory, group actions, graph symmetries
- Strong research publication record relative to applicant's experience
- Ability and willingness to perform research administration tasks
Along with your excellent written and verbal communication skills, you will have the ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a group.
Closing date: Wednesday, 28 March 2018.
This position is open to international applicants.
Application Details: Please apply online via the Apply Now button.
Full details of the position’s responsibilities and the selection criteria are outlined in the position description and applicants should clearly demonstrate they meet the selection criteria.
- UWA has been awarded Top Ten Employer for LGBTI – inclusion of the Australian Workplace Equity Index (AWEI -2016).
- The University is also a proud member of the Athena SWAN/SAGE Pilot for Gender Equity.