Lecturer in Social Work
Department of Social Sciences
Qatar University Profile:
Qatar University is the premier national institution of higher education with a mission to produce well-rounded graduates with academic knowledge of quality and excellence coupled with a keen spirit of volunteerism and civic responsibility. This is underpinned by committed leadership and an experienced and motivated faculty and staff body.
The College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) houses ten departments, covering a wide range of undergraduate specializations in the Arts and Sciences including English Literature & Linguistics and Arabic Languages, History, Sociology, Social Work, International Affairs, Mass Communication , Psychology , Policy, Planning & Development , Statistics, Chemistry, Biological Sciences, Environmental Sciences, Public Health , Biomedical Sciences and Human Nutrition. The College also houses four Master Programs which are in Environmental Sciences, Biomedical Sciences, Gulf Studies, and Arabic Language. In Fall 2013, CAS will launch a new master program in Material Sciences and a PhD in Biological and Environmental Sciences. Additionally, the College offers a Program of Arabic for Non- Native Speakers.
It is worth mentioning that as members of QU, CAS faculty members have excellent opportunities to secure intramural and extramural funding for their research ideas. Qatar National Research Fund (QNRF) is major source of research funding, with individual project funding limit exceeding 1 million/project (5 million exceptional projects) along with student research funding programs. As the national and largest University in the country, Qatar University is the recipient of most of QNRF awards, with many research- active faculty members able to win multiple grants.
Duties & Responsibilities
The Department of Social Sciences, Social Work Program, at Qatar University, Doha, invites applications for a full time position at the level of Lecturer in Social Work to begin August 2015. The position is three years renewable. We are seeking a broadly trained Social Worker with good experience in internship and practicum coordination, demonstrated teaching excellence and a commitment to scholarship.
Candidates should be committed to excellence in teaching and capable of involving undergraduate students in their research program. Candidates must be ABD or have a Ph.D. in Social Work to be considered. Preference will be given to candidates with strong quantitative and/or qualitative research skills who have a track record of excellent publication and possess the potential and willingness to collaborate with faculty within and across departmental divisions. Priority will be given to candidates who are fluent in both Arabic and English and have the potential to attract extramural funding.
- Teach courses to undergraduate students in Arabic
- Advise undergraduate students
- Collaborate with faculty on research within and across departments
- Provide service to the department, university, profession, and community
- Publish in peer-reviewed journals.
- Seek and obtain extramural funding.
- ABD or Ph.D. in Social Work.
- Teaching experience.
- Publication with clear research agenda.
- Fluent in both Arabic and English.
Preference will be given to candidates who have:
- Excellent teaching record.
- Track record publication.
- Strong quantitative and/or qualitative research skills.
- Current Curriculum Vitae.
- Cover letter.
- Teaching, research, and service philosophy.
- Three referees’ contact information (physical and email addresses as well their telephones contact).
- Copy of highest earned credential (transcript of highest degree if graduated from an institution where course work was completed. However, if no course work was completed, an copy of certificate letter from the registrar of your highest credential granting institution regarding your highest academic degree).
- Any additional documentation that you feel is relevant to your application.
- A three-year renewable contract.
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
- Tax-free salary.
- Furnished accommodation in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual round trip air tickets for faculty member and dependents in accordance with QUHR policies.
- Educational allowance for candidate's children (eligible candidates only) in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Private health care and health insurance in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual leave in accordance with QU HR policies.
- End-of-contract indemnity.
How To Apply
- Returning Applicant: Please login in QU Recruitment Online website (https://careers.qu.edu.qa) to update/edit your saved profile. Use this profile to apply for this position.
- New Applicant: You need to setup an account with QU Recruitment Online website (https://careers.qu.edu.qa) and complete your personal profile. Once your profile is complete you may use it to apply for an open Position.