English Language Teaching Assistant
Foundation Program Department of English
Qatar University Profile:
Qatar University is the premier national institution of higher education with a mission to produce well-rounded graduates with academic knowledge of quality and excellence coupled with a keen spirit of volunteerism and civic responsibility. This is underpinned by committed leadership and an experienced and motivated faculty and staff body.
As part of the on-going educational reform project and continuing program expansion, Qatar University is making a substantial investment in education by attracting diverse faculty, and enhancing teaching and research. The Mission of the University’s Foundation Program is to prepare high school graduates to meet Qatar University's common entrance requirements in English and Math.Challenging program requirements, instructional technology , e-learning platforms and student support activities are all used to equip students with the necessary skills to pursue competitive college programs. With more than 6000 students and 150 faculty and staff, the Foundation Program offers a dynamic, innovative and professional work environment.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide one-to-one tutoring and small-group activities
- Oversee and encourage the use of University learning resources including printed, audio-visual and computer-based equipment, and such other learning support methods and materials as may be developed
- Prepare support material to be used in support and review sessions.
- Identify students at risk and communicate with students at risk regarding their status.
- Create schedule for faculty tutors and teaching assistants and monitor their attendance.
- Market student services among students registered in foundation courses.
- Chart learners’ second language acquisition in their English classes to their major coursework whether they are in an Arabic or English stream major by formulating an independent language learning plan.
- Use techniques for increasing motivation, developing confidence, memorizing new vocabulary, and/ or seeking out conversational practice activities, for example.
- Coach learners in specific areas of need in second language acquisition, for example, self- monitoring.
- Provide access and resources to physical resources learners can use to develop their second language learning strategies.
- Update SharePoint and Bb on a regular basis to reflect the services and student visits.
- Provide workshops on study skills and language acquisition skills.
- Evaluate the efficiency of academic support services through student participation, surveys and focus groups, etc…
- Communicate with learners about their individual status and progress in second language acquisition so that learners can see the progress they are making over time.
- Counsel students who struggle with their English language classes in terms of motivation, participation, and/or expectations.
- Report on the attendance of students bi-weekly, monthly or by end of the semester based on the data type
- a Master's degree in TESOL, Applied Linguistics or ELT from a reputably accredited university/program
- at least three years'of EAP/EFL/ESL teaching experience at university/tertiary level (overseas experience is desirable).
- experience in tutoring, student support, testing and assessment, instructional technology,and curriculum and materials development.
- ability to adapt to and participate in different cultures and learning environments
- ability to contribute to an innovative and challenging academic instructional program is an asset.
- Current Curriculum Vitae.
- Cover letter.
- Three referees’ contact information (physical and email addresses as well their telephones contact).
- Copy of highest earned credential.
- Transcript of the master's degree.
- Any additional documentation that you feel is relevant to your application.
- A three-year renewable contract.
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
- Tax-free salary.
- Furnished accommodation in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual round trip air tickets for faculty member and dependents in accordance with QUHR policies.
- Educational allowance for candidate's children (eligible candidates only) in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Private health care and health insurance in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual leave in accordance with QU HR policies.
- End-of-contract indemnity.
How To Apply
- Returning Applicant: Please login in QU Recruitment Online website (https://careers.qu.edu.qa) to update/edit your saved profile. Use this profile to apply for this position.
- New Applicant: You need to setup an account with QU Recruitment Online website (https://careers.qu.edu.qa) and complete your personal profile. Once your profile is complete you may use it to apply for an open Position.