Assistant/Associate Professor in Structural Engineering
Department of Civil & Architectural Engineering
Qatar University Profile:
Qatar University is the premier national institution of higher education with a mission to produce well-rounded graduates with academic knowledge of quality and excellence coupled with a keen spirit of volunteerism and civic responsibility. This is underpinned by committed leadership and an experienced and motivated faculty and staff body.
Established in 1980, the College of Engineering offers degree programs in the fields of Architectural, Chemical, Civil, Electrical, Mechanical, Industrial and Systems, Computer Science and Computer Engineering with the primary goal of preparing Qatari engineers with outstanding scientific and technical competencies to enable them to participate and contribute in the various aspects of the country.
Duties & Responsibilities
The Department of Civil and Architectural Engineering has an opening for an Assistant Professor position in the area of Structural Engineering . Exceptional candidates may be considered for a higher rank. Applicants should have an earned doctorate in one of the areas of Structural |Engineering including Dynamics, Mechanics, Steel Structures, Concrete Structures, or Structural Materials. They should have a strong commitment to teaching excellence at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels. The successful faculty candidate will complement the existing Structural Engineering faculty in the department and will develop and sustain funded research programs and publish in leading scholarly journals.
The highly competitive employment package is commensurate with experience and rank . It includes a 12-month tax-free salary, housing, private health insurance, transportation allowance, relocating expenses, financial support for school expenses of the faculty member’s children (up to three children), and two months of paid summer vacation including annual round-trip flight tickets as in line with the current Qatar University HR policies. For more information, please visit Qatar University HR website at http://www.qu.edu.qa/offices/hr/ .
Application deadline : Open Until Filled
Position category : Academic
Employment type : Full time
Position term : Three years
Academic rank : Assistant or Associate Professor
Successful applicants should be able to:
- Be able to adopt and develop a “student centered” approach to teaching and learning,
- Teach undergraduate courses in related Civil Engineering disciplines.
- Develop expertise in using course management environments such as Blackboard to support taught courses and assessment,
- Contribute to collaborative research, consulting and short courses in conjunction with local industries,
- Contribute to a collegiate atmosphere in the Department and College, and
- Advise undergraduate students and be involved effectively in service duties such as capstone project reviews, design juries, committee work and curriculum development.
The successful candidates are expected to hold a Ph.D. degree in Civil Engineering from a prestigious university. They should also have expertise in the relevant areas and a track record of scholarly activities in the field. English language is essential. Candidates with industrial experience will be looked at favorably. Experience in managing research projects and/or professional practice would be also advantageous.
- Current Curriculum Vitae.
- Cover letter.
- Teaching, research, and service philosophy.
- Three referees’ contact information (physical and email addresses as well their telephones contact).
- Copy of highest earned credential (transcript of highest degree if graduated from an institution where course work was completed. However, if no course work was completed, an copy of certificate letter from the registrar of your highest credential granting institution regarding your highest academic degree).
- Any additional documentation that you feel is relevant to your application.
- A three-year renewable contract.
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
- Tax-free salary.
- Furnished accommodation in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual round trip air tickets for faculty member and dependents in accordance with QUHR policies.
- Educational allowance for candidate's children (eligible candidates only) in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Private health care and health insurance in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual leave in accordance with QU HR policies.
- End-of-contract indemnity.
How To Apply
- Returning Applicant: Please login in QU Recruitment Online website (https://careers.qu.edu.qa) to update/edit your saved profile. Use this profile to apply for this position.
- New Applicant: You need to setup an account with QU Recruitment Online website (https://careers.qu.edu.qa) and complete your personal profile. Once your profile is complete you may use it to apply for an open Position.
Full CV, statement of teaching and research philosophy and names of three referees to be submitted through our online recruitment system at https://careers.qu.edu.qa. Additional requirements including brief portfolio of professional and students design work, and sample of selected published research papers, maybe requested if the applicant is short listed.