Assistant/Associate/Professor of Criminal Law
College of Law
Qatar University Profile:
Qatar University is the premier national institution of higher education with a mission to produce well-rounded graduates with academic knowledge of quality and excellence coupled with a keen spirit of volunteerism and civic responsibility. This is underpinned by committed leadership and an experienced and motivated faculty and staff body.
The College of Law is a newly established College with two Programs: a new Law Program (LL.B) that commenced in 2004 and the well-established Sharia'a Program. The new Law Program provides a unique curriculum in comparison to other Middle East universities. Most courses cover various national and international dimensions of a legal field and almost half the courses are taught in English
Duties & Responsibilities
Support and maintain the University’s national and international reputation for excellence in teaching and research, and thus participate in the overall contribution of the department/faculty.
- Carry out independent research.
- Contribute to the research activities of the department by developing your own research program, planning and coordinating a broad research activity or program.
- Sustaining an extensive track record of published research findings, maintaining an expert reputation in own subject area.
- Contribute to the development of research strategies for the department.
- Publish research outcomes in appropriate refereed journals of international standing, and publish and disseminate the results of research and scholarship in other outlets.
- Engage in external academic activities in accordance with the department’s research strategy and which enhance the University’s research profile. Such activities may include, for example, delivery of research papers at conferences, membership of committees of academic bodies, external examining, participation in knowledge transfer, development of industrial links and other related activities, and journal editorships.
- Encourage and work with other members of the Group/University on joint research activities (where appropriate) and contribute to relevant research seminars.
- Engage in teaching at all levels using relevant teaching methods, e.g. lectures, seminars, tutorials, working as part of the teaching team.
- Maintain a broad knowledge of up to date research and scholarship in relevant fields to ensure that teaching meets the standard expected within a research-led University.
- Support and comply with the University and departmental teaching quality assurance standards and procedures including the provision of such information as may be required by the University.
- Develop and apply appropriate teaching techniques and materials, which may be novel or innovative, which create interest, understanding and enthusiasm amongst students. This will include contribution to regular reflection on the enhancement of departmental curricula.
- Undertake curriculum and course design and deliver material across a range of programs of study at various levels, using appropriate teaching, learning support and assessment methods, reviewing and improving as required.
- Supervise research students subject to the usual University criteria, including where appropriate joint supervision.
- Supervise undergraduate, postgraduate and MBA student projects, dissertations and, where appropriate, placements and field trips.
- Take responsibility for academic duties (i.e. setting examination questions, marking, invigilation and pastoral support of students) required to sustain the delivery of high quality teaching.
- Co-ordinate and undertake pastoral support for students within the program, course or modules for which you are responsible, liaising where necessary with other University agencies.
Administration and Other Activities:
- Act as a personal tutor for a mix of undergraduate and postgraduate students, liaising where necessary with other University agencies .
- A PhD or equivalent in Criminal Law is necessary.
- Required to be at least recognized authority in the subject area with achievements in research and scholarship, and an in-depth understanding of own specialism(s) to enable the development of new knowledge and understanding within the field.
- Evidence of relevant research potential, including potential to publish in appropriate leading journals.
- Evidence of ability in teaching example able to use a range of delivery techniques to engage the interest and enthusiasm of students and inspire them to learn.
- Ability to initiate development in the curriculum and to take responsibility for the effective and efficient delivery of teaching programs, developing the curriculum and appropriate assessment techniques.
- Understanding of equal opportunity issues as they may impact on areas of teaching.
- Engaged in continuous professional development.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to relate well to colleagues and different kinds of students.
- Ability to perform to required deadlines and to initiate,plan, organize and deliver programs of work.
- Current Curriculum Vitae.
- Cover letter.
- Teaching, research, and service philosophy.
- Three referees’ contact information (physical and email addresses as well their telephones contact).
- Copy of highest earned credential (transcript of highest degree if graduated from an institution where course work was completed. However, if no course work was completed, an copy of certificate letter from the registrar of your highest credential granting institution regarding your highest academic degree).
- Any additional documentation that you feel is relevant to your application.
- A three-year renewable contract.
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
- Tax-free salary.
- Furnished accommodation in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual round trip air tickets for faculty member and dependents in accordance with QUHR policies.
- Educational allowance for candidate's children (eligible candidates only) in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Private health care and health insurance in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual leave in accordance with QU HR policies.
- End-of-contract indemnity.
How To Apply
- Returning Applicant: Please login in QU Recruitment Online website (https://careers.qu.edu.qa) to update/edit your saved profile. Use this profile to apply for this position.
- New Applicant: You need to setup an account with QU Recruitment Online website (https://careers.qu.edu.qa) and complete your personal profile. Once your profile is complete you may use it to apply for an open Position.