Electronics Technical Engineer
Electronics Technical Engineer in the Technology Department (TE), Machine Protection and Electrical Integrity Group (MPE), Electronic Modules Section (EM)
Joining the Technology Department, you will work in the MPE Group responsible for the centralized services for CERN's electronics community for the layout design, prototype board assembly, industrialization and production of electronic boards and modules.
You will take part in the design and procurement of custom made electronics for the systems across the CERN accelerator complex and its detectors. The electronic boards are designed according to very high standards and must be proven to operate with the required high levels of reliability and availability.
As an Electronics Technical Engineer with experience in production of electronic modules, you will be the assistant of the Section Leader in charge of the electronic design office, sub-contracting the PCB manufacturing and assembly of electronic boards and modules.
Your main activities will consist of:
- Supervising the manufacturing process of electronic modules designed in the section, including the production of prototypes.
- Providing technical support to the design office and its customers for manufacturing and assembly processes.
- Defining manufacturing methods, seeking new construction techniques and ways of using new materials/components.
- Monitoring the progress of work and controlling quality and budget.
- With the assistance of the industrial support team, organizing the purchasing of components and bare PCBs.
- Organizing the planning of the activities for the electronic assembly workshop, ensuring optimal use of resources and handling the technical and quality issues if required.
- Defining and maintaining procedures and related quality assurance documents.
Bachelor in the field of electronics production or equivalent.
Experience and competencies
The experience required for this post is:
- Demonstrated experience in the production of electronic boards and systems, including related techniques and tools: assembly of surface mount devices on printed circuit boards, solder paste deposition, reflow process, pick and place techniques and solder wave process and acceptability of solder joints.
- Demonstrated experience with electronic board and module design, design of front panels and crates as well as manufacturing rules and industrial standards.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Assembly of connectors and cables, including related techniques and tools: in-depth knowledge, including tools and acceptance criteria.
- Use of scientific and engineering software packages: experience with CAD software for electronics design.
- Electronic board and module design, design of front panels and crates as well as manufacturing rules and industrial standards.
- Familiarity with electrical measurement techniques and test systems for PCBs and electronic modules.
- Knowledge of PCB manufacturing processes would be an advantage.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Working in teams: working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities; understanding when teamwork is required to achieve the best results; including others accordingly and sharing information; cooperating constructively with others in the pursuit of team goals; balancing personal goals with team goals.
- Solving problems: recognizing what is essential; discriminating between important and peripheral information and being able to see the whole picture; testing solutions for long-term suitability, cross-checking with all concerned before implementation.
- Achieving results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations.
- Demonstrating flexibility: demonstrating openness to new ideas and situations; being willing to work on different projects simultaneously.
- Communicating effectively: ensuring that information, procedures and decisions are appropriately documented.
The language competencies required are:
- English: spoken and written with the ability to draw up technical texts. The ability to understand and speak in professional contexts.
- French: the ability to understand and speak the other language in routine situations, or the undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success.
We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 04.04.2018.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry.
Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- A valid driving licence.
- Shift work, when required by the needs of the Organization.