Assistant Professor, Marine Engineering and Technology
Assistant Professor, Marine Engineering and Technology
Job title Assistant Professor, Marine Engineering and Technology
Organizational Unit: Faculty, Maritime Energy Management (MEM)
Duty Station: Malmö, Sweden
Duration of contract: Two-year fixed-term appointment
1. Organizational setting
The World Maritime University (WMU) is a postgraduate and research university established in 1983 by the International Maritime Organization, the maritime agency of the United Nations. WMU offers M.Sc. and Ph.D. programmes, Postgraduate Diplomas, and Professional Development Courses (PDCs) with the highest standards in maritime and oceans education and training. WMU also has a highly respected research programme supported by specialized research groups across the maritime and ocean fields.
The Assistant Professor position is located in the Faculty unit at WMU’s headquarters in Malmö, Sweden.
2. Main purpose
The incumbent will work under the supervision of the Vice President Academic, and functionally under the Head of the MSc. Specialization – Maritime Energy Management. As a faculty member at the World Maritime University, the Assistant Professor is expected to provide teaching/mentoring, conduct research, publish and promote inter-university cooperation, including research, in the shipping and port management fields.
As a member of the faculty and professional staff at WMU, the incumbent will work to keep WMU positioned as an academic institution of excellence, help advance the institution and build its reputation in the relevant field of expertise.
3. Working relationships
Internal contacts – Incumbent liaises and interacts with all faculty members on a regular basis as well as with research and support staff as required.
External contacts – Incumbent liaises with scientific and industry communities, research organizations, intergovernmental organizations, non-governmental organizations, and engages with scientific journals and publishing entities.
4. Duties, responsibilities
The Assistant Professor is expected, under the supervision of the Vice-President (Academic) to be engaged in:
- teaching, including engagement in the MSc teaching programs in Malmö, and other locations as needed and assigned;
- coordinating and participating in student field studies;
- mentoring of PhD and MSc students and supervision of research theses/dissertations in the maritime energy management field;
- Participating in scholarship in the form of publications in peer-reviewed journals, books, book chapters, etc.;
- Developing projects, submitting project proposals, and delivery of such projects;
- Presentation of research findings at professional conferences and meetings;
- Involvement in distance learning (e-learning) programmes, PDCs, and capacity-building courses as required;
- Servicing WMU committees and work groups, and active participation in administrative, academic, and curriculum duties.
5. Minimum requirements – education, experience and language skills
- PhD in the area of marine technology/innovation, naval architecture or marine engineering with preferred experience in marine engineering, air pollution from international shipping, and alternative fuels and (marine) renewable energy.
- Minimum of 3 years experience in teaching at the postgraduate level, preferably within the areas of marine engineering, air pollution related regulatory framework, and alternative fuels and (marine) renewable energy;
- A track record in research and scholarly publication in marine engineering, air pollution from international shipping, and alternative fuels and (marine) renewable energy.
- Experience in teaching at the postgraduate level;
- Professional experience in the maritime transport sector is desirable, as is seafaring experience;
- Experience in organizing conferences and seminars and fund-raising.
- Excellent command of English both spoken and written.
- Knowledge of another UN language would be an advantage.
6. Knowledge and skills
Knowledge and skills
- Excellent communication skills.
- Excellent knowledge of MEM related software (i.e. Simulation, Optimization, Statistics etc.).
- Ability to work independently and as part of a professional/academic team.
- Effective organizational skills to manage time and priorities in teaching and administrative duties as appropriate.
- Ability to act as point of contact for problems/enquiries from students in your areas of expertise.
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment and to demonstrate gender-sensitive and non-discriminatory behaviour and attitudes.
- Ability to deal with administrative matters as appropriate to status and with reference to other colleagues within WMU.
This vacancy is open to male and female candidates. WMU seeks to increase the number of women at all levels and, therefore, qualified women are particularly encouraged to apply. WMU will make every effort to facilitate the employment of persons with disabilities.
The position offers an attractive salary (P2 Grade of the ICSC salary scale), free of income tax in Sweden, a benefits package and relocation expenses. Applicants must fill in the Personal History Form, which can be found at http://wmu.se/vacancies. Should send a letter of interest, a complete CV, and the contact information of three referees to Marco Batista, Head of Human Resources (firstname.lastname@example.org). Applications should include a statement of current and future research and teaching interests.
Deadline for Applications: 30 April 2018.
More searches like this
- Fixed Term Engineering & Technology Lecturers / Assistant Professors jobs in Sweden
- Fixed Term Physical Sciences Lecturers / Assistant Professors jobs in Sweden
- Fixed Term General Engineering Lecturers / Assistant Professors jobs in Sweden
- Fixed Term Geology, Environmental, Earth & Marine Sciences Lecturers / Assistant Professors jobs in Sweden