Senior Research Fellow in Automated Machine Learning
Advanced Analytics Institute (AAi) – FEIT, UTS
UTS has a bold vision to be a world-leading university of technology. We are a dynamic and innovative university in central Sydney, consistently ranked the top young university in Australia. With a culturally diverse campus life and extensive international exchange and research programs, UTS prepares graduates for the workplaces of today and tomorrow.
The Advanced Analytics Institute (AAi) is a world-leading research centre with a focus on big data, data sciences and data analytics. The Senior Research Fellow willconduct research in the area of complex learning/adaptive systems with a focus on multi-component, multi-level, multi-objective optimisation and mechanisms in the context of learning systems and/or software development methodologies and architectures.
AAi research delivers real-world solutions to contemporary big data questions and assists industry partners to use data as a tool for effective business decisions. AAi researchers are internationally recognised for their expertise and projects across automated machine learning, data mining, advanced/predictive analytics, diagnostic analysis, decision support systems, time series analysis, network science, bioinformatics and multimedia analytics. Our extensive research networks coupled with our focus on practice-based innovation has lead AAi to be preferred partner for both industry and government.
Working with Professor Bogdan Gabrys, Director of AAi, the Senior Research Fellow will build on research concerned with the automation of predictive systems building, deployment and maintenance. In addition, the key responsibilities will include:
- Collaboration with industry partners on data science and advanced analytics projects;
- Working towards developing state-of-the-art methods for
- Establishing and developing productive collaborative research activity across the institute, Faculty and wider UTS community and externally with other broader based research partners;
- Producing research publications and applying for internal and external research grants with the aim of developing a funded program of research;
- Supervising research students and contributing to their development as future researchers.
The main experience and skills required include:
- A strong research profile as evidenced by peer reviewed journal and conference publications.
- Proven ability to undertake empirical research.
- Demonstrated ability to forge links with the Data Science and Machine Learning profession and other key stakeholders.
- Demonstrated knowledge in any of the following areas: Computational Intelligence, (Automated) Machine Learning, Complex Adaptive Systems, Pervasively Adaptive Software Systems or Predictive Modeling.
- A doctorate in computer science, mathematics, physics, engineering, statistics or a similar discipline.
- Strong programming skills using any or combination of Java, C++, C#, Python, R, and/or Matlab.
Remuneration & Benefits
Base Salary Range:$122,684 to $137,082 (Academic level C)
This role attracts 17%superannuation in addition to the base salary.
Our commitment to work/life support includes benefits such as flexible work practices, child care centres, generous parental leave and support to carers.
This a full-time position is and the appointment will be made on a fixed term basis for 3 years.
How To Apply
Prior to commencing your application for IRC106115 please review the Position Statement and the relevant selection criteria. You are required to address the selection criteria in your submission in a separate document.
Please click the apply button to be taken to the UTS application page.
Please ensure that the file name for each document submitted includes IRC106115.
Specific enquiries or issues with your application may be directed to the UTS Recruitment Team at firstname.lastname@example.org or on +61 (0) 2 9514 1080.
Closing Date: Tuesday 3rd April, 2018 at 11.59pm (AEST)
UTS is widely acknowledged as a leader in promoting gender equity and social justice. Cited as a WGEA Employer of Choice since the inception of the award, UTS is a current participant in the SAGE pilot program, the Australian trial of the Athena Swan gender equity accreditation program. We welcome applications from women, particularly for senior and non-traditional roles.