Professor of Mathematics Education
The Department of Teacher Education has about 360 members of staff, and near 4,000 students. The department offers a complete degree programme that qualifies students for teaching positions in all subjects and stages of Norwegian primary and secondary education. The department also offers a wide range of continuing education and in-service courses for teachers and school leaders, and has a separate bachelor programme in archive and collection management. Many courses are offered in collaboration with other departments at NTNU. The Norwegian Centre for Mathematics Education and The Norwegian Centre for Writing Education and Research are part of the Department of Teacher Education. NTNU and The Department of Teacher Education host The Norwegian National Research School in Teacher Education (NAFOL) and have their own PhD programme in Research with focus on Teacher Education and School Practice. Members of the department carry out a wide range of school and education based research projects.
The Department of Teacher Education is announcing a permanent full-time position as Professor of Mathematics Education.
The Department of Teacher Education offers a two-year Master’s degree in Mathematics education as well as mathematics modules which are part of the 5-year integrated Master’s programme in primary and secondary education. There are three different programmes: primary education for grades 1-7, secondary education for grades 5-10 and secondary education for grades 8-13. The department also offers a post-graduate certificate of education. NTNU also offers in-service courses in Mathematics for teachers in primary and secondary school.
The Section for Mathematics currently consists of 2 Visiting Professors, 17 Associate Professors and 10 Assistant Professors, as well as 2 Assistant Professors on temporary contracts. The section also has 2 PhD students.
- Teaching, supervision and examination work.
- Play a major role in developing the scope and quality of research in the Section for Mathematics and teaching on Master-level and Phd- level courses.
- Participate in teaching and further development of our in-service courses for teachers of Mathematics.
- The Section’s profile within research and teaching, at all levels, is strongly founded within the teaching profession and on close ties between theory and practice. The successful candidate will be expected to contribute to the development of this profile.
- Responsibilities involving students will be related to teaching, tutoring and examinations in accordance with current curricula and approved programmes. The appointee will have special responsibility for developing the master programme in Mathematics Teacher Education as well as for teaching and supervising Master and Phd students.
- National and international network building and project development
- The successful candidate must be able to document a substantial research record and possess considerable knowledge of mathematics education. Experience from development of new research areas is desirable. Approximately half of the positions is dedicated to research and research related work.
- The evaluation of the applicants will focus on educational background, scientific production, development work and pedagogical experience. To be awarded a qualification as Professor the applicant must be able to document a scientific level in accordance with international and national standard in the subject area.
- Teaching experience from relevant institutions of education.
- To be considered for appointment, a certificate of completed teaching practice and training (practicum) is required. Candidates without such training will be required to complete it within two years of employment. NTNU offers such courses.
- If there are no fully qualified applicants for the position, a candidate may be offered a temporary position for up to 3 years and be offered a permanent position following a new and successful evaluation of their qualifications but without a new advertisement of the position (cf. Act relating to universities and university colleges § 6. 5 (1)).
- Employees in academic positions who are not already fluent in a Scandinavian language must within three years obtain knowledge of Norwegian or another Scandinavian language at an equivalent standard to level three in the Norwegian for Foreigners courses provided at the Department of Language and Literature at NTNU. The University provides such courses. All other terms being equal an applicant who already is fluent in a Scandinavian language will be preferred.
In addition to the formal academic qualification, the candidate’s personal skills including independence, creativity, motivation and the ability to work constructively and effectively as part of a team are crucial in the assessment of the successful candidate.
The assessment will be based on the documented scientific work, teaching experience, supervision of Master and Phd students, and other pedagogical experience. Quality and breadth will also be considered. Shortlisted candidates will be invited for an interview and will be asked to prepare a short lecture intended for a student audience.
Salary, terms and conditions:
Salary for Professor: Salary Code 1013, starting salary NOK 606,400 minimum. The successful candidate will normally be paid between NOK 606,400 and NOK 789,700. By law, 2% of the gross salary will be paid to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund from salary deductions.
Terms and conditions of the position are subject to the current Acts and Regulations for Norwegian State Employees.
The successful candidate is required to live within commuting distance from The Norwegian University of Science and Technology in Trondheim.
Total work distribution will be divided between research, teaching and administration. The division between the different areas will vary, but over time, research and teaching will be equally distributed.
The candidate must submit the following within the application deadline. These documents must be posted electronically via jobbnorge.no. Relevant diplomas and certificates should also be posted electronically. Certified copies of diplomas and certificates will be required from candidates who are invited for an interview. Please mark the application with this code: SU-111:
- A cover letter/application
- A complete CV
- Digital copies of relevant diplomas and certificates
- No more than 15 academic papers
Joint work will be evaluated. If it is difficult to identify the contributions from individuals in a join piece of work, applicants should enclose a short descriptive summary of what he/she contributed to the work.
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology wishes to promote equal opportunities in all its employment practices. Minority candidates are encouraged to apply.
Information about the applicants may be open to public inspection according to the Freedom of Information Act.
Further information about the positions is available by contacting Head of Section Ole Enge, email@example.com tel. +4798483281
Queries about the application process should be directed to the HR-section via email to Aasre Line Strand, firstname.lastname@example.org
About this job
- Deadline Sunday, April 15, 2018
- Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
- Municipality Trondheim
- Place of service Kalvskinnet
- Jobbnorge ID 147538
- Internal ID 2017/41447
- Scope Fulltime
- Duration Permanent
- Applications on this job are registered in an electronic form on jobbnorge.no
- You must complete: Academic CV
- Please refer to where you first saw this job advertised!