Postdoctoral Fellow in Immersive Visualisation
- Full Time
Australian Research Council Laureate
UNSW Art and Design
- One of Australia’s leading research & teaching universities
- Vibrant campus life with a strong sense of community & inclusion
- Enjoy a career that makes a difference by collaborating & learning from the best
The postdoctoral fellow will work in Professor Jill Bennett’s AUSTRALIAN RESEARCH COUNCIL LAUREATE team, located at UNSW Art & Design, Paddington.
The Experience Research Lab supports an exciting new transdisciplinary approach to the study of subjectivity with a focus on lived experiences of ageing, neurodiversity and mental health. In our state-of-the-art 3D immersive environment (EPICentre), we are developing a virtual Perception Environment that uses qualitative data to simulate ‘seeing through the eyes of another’. By these means we aim to advance understandings of the experiences of stigmatised and devalued populations, and to test methods for the promotion of empathy/remediation of stigma.
Our Laureate Postdoctoral Fellows work in a transdisciplinary team, spanning psychology/social science, art/design, immersive media and data visualisation.
About the role
- $91K-$98K per annum plus 17% Superannuation and annual leave loading
- Fixed Term for 3 years (with potential for renewal for two further years)
- Full-time (35 hours per week)
As the Laureate Postdoctoral Fellow in Immersive Visualisation you will work in a transdisciplinary team (spanning psychology/social science, art/design and data visualisation), investigating the subjective/embodied experience of ageing and mental health. You will help develop the simulation of cognitive and perceptual experience, co-located with the UNSW EPICentre.
About the successful applicant
To be successful in this role you will have:
- Doctoral qualifications in Design, Computer Graphics, Media Arts, Computer Science or a relevant field of study with a demonstrated track-record of innovation and creativity and a willingness to contribute novel ideas and approaches to support scientific investigations.
- Technical knowledge to work in tandem with the programmer and designer, researching the impact of graphics scenarios.
- Experience conducting research in interactive 3D graphics in Virtual Reality (VR), Augmented Reality (AU) and/or in High Performance Computer Graphics, including a demonstrated understanding of Human Computer Interaction paradigms.
- The ability to work in a dynamic, responsive context, respecting protocols of co-design and stakeholder engagement.
- Knowledge of, or sensitivity towards mental health and diversity (lived experience is an asset).
- High levels of oral and written communication and ability to represent the team at national and international conferences or events.
You should systematically address the selection criteria listed within the position description in your application. Please apply online - applications will not be accepted if sent directly to the contact listed.
Professor Jill Bennett, Director, National Institute for Experimental Arts (NIEA)
Applications close: 22 March 2018