Operator (Technical Infrastructure)
Operator (Technical Infrastructure) in the Beams Department (BE), Operations Group (OP), Technical infrastructure Section (TI).
As part of the shift crew, the Technical Infrastructure (TI) Operator is responsible for monitoring CERN's key technical infrastructure. The systems involved include electricity distribution, cooling and ventilation systems and making sure that important safety systems are in perfect working order. It is the job of the TI operator to spot problems and take corrective actions to avoid beam stops and interruptions to the physics experiments. In case of a major problem such as a site wide power cut, the TI operator on shift manages the different call out services respecting the overall CERN priorities.
As an Operator (Technical Infrastructure), you will primarily be based in the central control room, working on a shift rota running 365 days per year and 24 hours per day, monitoring systems and performing remote diagnostics and interventions. In between shifts, all technicians have other activities, using the expert skills they already have to improve our systems or processes.
Monitor and operate systems using an integrated control system federating all important system alerts in the field of cooling, ventilation, electricity, access control and many more technical systems at CERN.
- Perform remote diagnostics and operation of the infrastructure systems using specialised and general-purpose Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) systems.
- Create and edit work orders, logbook entries and event reports concerning current events for distribution to the different teams involved in maintenance activities.
- Communicate with users, physicists and maintenance teams via telephone or in person to get and give information about system incidents and to coordinate interventions as required.
- Help the team implement new procedures, tools and improvements.
Higher technical diploma in the field of electricity, electro-mechanics, heating, cooling and ventilation, cryogenics, industrial maintenance and automation, process control or control systems, or equivalent.
Experience and competencies
The experience required for this post is:
- An initial experience in control room work or in maintenance work.
- Experience in one or more of the following domains: electricity, electro-mechanics, heating, cooling and ventilation, cryogenics, industrial maintenance and automation, process control or control systems.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Installation, maintenance and operation of control systems.
- Cooling process and regulation.
- HVAC process and regulation.
- Commissioning, maintenance and operation of electrical distribution systems.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Communicating effectively: expressing opinions, ideas and suggestions with conviction and in a logical/structured manner; keeping to the point; listening actively to others and letting others speak; checking to ensure that the message has been well understood.
- Solving problems: anticipating obstacles; assessing alternative solutions in order to have a fall-back plan; finding the information needed to solve problems; making objective judgments based on all the facts available.
- Managing self: taking initiative beyond regular tasks and making things happen; working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting.
- Demonstrating flexibility: adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements.
The language competencies required are:
- Good knowledge of English or French; basic knowledge of the other language or an undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success.
We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 01.04.2018.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry. Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Shift work, including nights, Sundays and public holidays.
- Work in radiation areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.