PhD Position, Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering
PhD Project Description:
Flexible pipes are used extensively for production and transport of oil and gas in the offshore industry. About 60% of the Norwegian production of hydrocarbons are based on transportation through such pipes. Several incidents of critical corrosion of the armor wires confined in the annulus between the inner liner and the outer sheath have been reported over the last 10-20 years. Some of the corrosion incidents are related to exposure to oxygen and CO2 when the outer sheath has been breached. However, there are also numerous incidents where brittle fractures and ruptures typically associated with hydrogen embrittlement and H2S corrosion/cracking have been observed. With increased souring of many reservoirs even in the North Sea, there is a growing concern for environmental cracking of the armor wires. It is, therefore, necessary to establish a comprehensive understanding of the microstructure and environmental fracture of the armor wires.
Requirements for the position
The applicants must hold a master degree in materials science engineering or equivalent with an average grade of B or better according to either NTNU’s or the ECTS grading system. Previous knowledge and experience in Nanomechanical testing with nanoindentation system, scanning electron microscope and focused ion beam microscopy, will be considered an advantage.
Applicants need to have excellent presentation and communication skills.
Fluency in English - written and oral.
Ability to work as part of an international team.
Candidates from universities outside Norway are kindly requested to send a Diploma Supplement or a similar document, which describes in detail the study and grade system and the rights for further studies associated with the obtained degree: ec.europa.eu/education/tools/diploma-supplement_en.htm
The candidate must have excellent analytical and modeling skills combined with interest and experience in experimental work. The successful applicants are motivated and ambitious students with excellent grades. Proficiency to carry out goal-oriented work, good skills to deliver oral and written presentations of research results (good writing skills in English are essential), and good cooperation abilities will be emphasized.
The PhD candidates will be required to work in Trondheim at the Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering. A statement on when the applicant can start in the position if selected should be supplied.
Conditions of appointment
PhD Candidates are remunerated in code 1017, and are normally remunerated with a gross salary NOK 436 900 before tax deduction. There will be a 2 % deduction to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund from gross wage. As a member of the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund you are offered:
- A good pension scheme
- A favorable housing loan interest
- Good insurance schemes
Applicants for a PhD will have to engage in an organized PhD training program, and appointment in the positions requires approval of the applicants plan and qualifications for the PhD study within three months from the date of commencement of the PhD position. See https://www.ntnu.edu/iv/phd-information and https://innsida.ntnu.no/doktorgrad for more information.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants. The positions adhere to the Norwegian Government's policy of balanced ethnicity, age and gender. Persons with immigrant background are encouraged to apply. NTNU´s objective is to increase the number of females in scientific positions and female applicants are therefore encouraged to apply.
The position is financed for 3 years.
According to the new Freedom of Information Act, information concerning the applicant may be made public even if the applicant has requested not to be included in the list of applicants.
The application should contain:
- CV, it should include: relevant formal educational background, diploma grade, participation in research projects, work experience, skills and any other relevant experience.
- Certified diploma (note that diploma supplement or similar has to be attached for degrees outside Norway and master diplomas from China have to be verified by CDGDC (http://www.chinadegrees.cn/en/).
- Certified grade transcripts and documentation of an average grade of B or better as described above.
- Three reference letters.
- Motivational letter of maximum two pages describing why the applicant wants to come to NTNU, the applicant’s view of research challenges within the area of the PhD position and how the applicant´s competence can contribute to solve these challenges.
- Statement of experience with regard to the list of important subject areas mentioned above.
- If applicable, list of publications, conferences presentations and other relevant scientific work Proficiency in English, best shown by providing TOEFL scores.
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) Test scores or equivalent would strengthen the application.
Applications should be submitted electronically through www.jobbnorge.no. Applications submitted elsewhere will not be considered.
For further information about the position, please contact:
Professor Afrooz Barnoush, firstname.lastname@example.org, or
Professor Roy Johnsen, email@example.com
Mark the application with ref.no. IV-102/18
Anticipated commencement: To be agreed with the Department
Application deadline: 14 March 2018
About this job
- Deadline Wednesday, March 14, 2018
- Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
- Municipality Trondheim
- Place of service Dep. of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering
- Jobbnorge ID 148931
- Internal ID 2018/6889
- Scope Fulltime
- Duration Temporary
- Applications on this job are registered in an electronic form on jobbnorge.no
- You must complete: Standard CV
- Please refer to where you first saw this job advertised!