Research Assistant in Biological Sciences
- One of Australia’s leading research & teaching universities
- Vibrant campus life with a strong sense of community & inclusion
- Enjoy a career that makes a difference by collaborating & learning from the best
At UNSW, we pride ourselves on being a workplace where the best people come to do their best work.
The Kirby Institute is a leading global research institute dedicated to the prevention and treatment of infectious diseases. Established in 1986 in response to the then emerging HIV epidemic, the Kirby Institute now contributes to knowledge on a broad range of diseases, including viral hepatitis and sexually transmissible infections.
About the role
- $71,451 - $80,580 plus 9.5% superannuation and leave loading
- Fixed Term for 12 months
- Full-time (35 hours per week)
The position holder is responsible to the Head of Viral Hepatitis Clinical Research Program (VHCRP) and will support all Hepatitis C Virus (HCV) immunovirology laboratory research projects as required. The position will independently conduct molecular virology assays, including clinical sample extraction, sequencing and analysis under with guidance of the laboratory research officer. The position will also support Hepatitis virus diagnostic method development as required.
You will use your experiences in biomedical research and knowledge of standard molecular techniques to conduct virological assays and analysis, including sequencing and viral genotyping on clinical trial samples. You will assist the laboratory coordinator in managing the research sample repository including assisting with collection, shipment, cataloguing and storage of samples.
About the successful applicant
To be successful in this role you will have:
- Demonstrated experience in biomedical research molecular biology working with patient specimens and experience working in PC2 laboratories.
- Experience with nucleic acid extraction and in the conduct of molecular assays including sequencing.
- Advanced knowledge of Good Laboratory Practice guidelines
- Graduate biomedical science qualifications
You should systematically address all the selection criteria in your application. Please apply online - applications will not be accepted if sent to the contact listed.
Dr Tanya Applegate, VHCRP Laboratory Manager, Senior Lecturer
T: (61 2) 9385 0463
Applications close: 29 March 2018