PhD Position in Influence of Harmonic Voltages on Hydro Generator Insulation System
4 days left
- Full Time
The Faculty of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering (IE) at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) has a vacancy for a three year position as a PhD Research Fellow at the Department of Electric Power Engineering (IEL). The described PhD is part of the research within the EU-funded project “Increasing the value of Hydropower through increased Flexibility - HydroFlex”.
About the Horizon2020 research project HydroFlex
The HydroFlex-project is a Research and Innovation action in Horizon2020 and has a total budget of about 6 M€ in 4 years. The research is conducted in collaboration with the HydroFlex-partners and the Norwegian Centre for Hydropower Technology (HydroCen). HydroFlex has 16 partners spread over 5 countries in Europe. The PhD student will work together with other PhD students and researchers in the HydroFlex project and at the HydroCen research centre.
Information about the Department
Currently there are 12 Professors, 7 Associate Professors and 4 Lecturers at the Department of Electric Power Engineering. In addition, there are 4 Adjunct Professors, 2 Adjunct Associate Professors, 10 Postdoctoral researchers, 3 Researchers, about 35 PhD students, and 15 technical/administrative staff. Research activities are organized under two research groups: Power Systems Group and Power Technology Group. The Department has a good laboratory infrastructure for research and education, as well as a mechanical workshop, supported by a technical staff of 10 persons.
The main aim is to examine the influence of the resulting voltage stresses on the generator insulation and field grading material at the end windings when connecting a hydro generator to a power electronic converter. The work will consist of experimental characterization and modelling of field grading materials as function of applied voltage, frequency and temperature. It is also of interest to study the long term effects of harmonics on the generator insulation.
Formal requirements and qualifications
The applicant must hold a M.Sc. degree in Electric Power Engineering. Knowledge and experience of electrical insulation system, FEM-analysis and laboratory experience are beneficial. High motivation and good analytical and communication skills will be emphasized in the employment process. According to the formal PhD regulations, average grade B or better is required. Personal suitability will be emphasized.
We will prioritize candidates based on the following criteria:
- Excellent communication skills - written and oral.
- Ability to work independently, as well as in team.
Formal regulations for PhD
Appointments are made in accordance with the regulations in force regarding terms of employment for PhD candidates issued by the Ministry of Education and Research, with relevant parts of the additional guidelines for appointment as a PhD candidate at NTNU. Applicants must undertake to participate in an organized PhD programme of study during their period of employment. The person who is appointed must comply with the conditions that apply at any time to employees in the public sector. In addition, a contract will be signed regarding the period of employment.
Applicants must be qualified for admission as PhD students at NTNU. See https://www.ntnu.edu/ie/research/phd for information about PhD studies at NTNU.
We can offer
- an informal and friendly workplace with dedicated colleagues
- academic challenges
- attractive schemes for housing loan, insurance and pension in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
Diversity is important to achieve a good, inclusive working environment. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply, regardless of gender, disability, and cultural background. NTNU wishes to increase the number of women in its workforce, and women are specifically encouraged to apply.
The appointment is to be made in accordance with the regulations for State Employees and Civil Servants in Norway. The candidate must adhere to regulations that concern changes and developments within the discipline and/or the organizational changes concerning activities at NTNU.
Under Section 25 of the Freedom of Information Act, information about the applicant may be made public even if the applicant has requested not to have her/his name entered on the list of applicants.
Applicants must provide evidence of good English language skills, written and spoken. The following tests can be used as such documentation: TOEFL, IELTS or Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) or Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE). Minimum scores are:
- TOEFL: 600 (paper-based test), 92 (Internet-based test)
- IELTS: 6.5, with no section lower than 5.5 (only Academic IELTS test accepted)
- CAE/CPE: grade B or A.
The PhD position is in code 1017 Research fellow, and is remunerated at a gross NOK 436 900 – 537 700 per year, depending on qualifications. A deduction of 2% is made as a statutory contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
Requirements for the application
Applications are to be submitted electronically through this page (http://www.jobbnorge.no).
The application should contain (all in one combined PDF file):
- A project description (1-2 pages).
- Certified copies of academic diplomas and certificates.
- Applicants from universities outside Norway are kindly requested to send a diploma supplement or a similar document, which describes in detail the study and grading system and the rights for further studies associated with the obtained degree.
- Publications relevant to the research scope and any other work which the applicant wishes to be taken into account should clearly state the applicant’s contribution. A short summary should be attached outlining the applicant’s input to joint work.
- Names and contact information of at least two references.
Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration.
Further details about the position can be obtained from Associate Professor Frank Mauseth, email@example.com.
The application deadline is March 25, 2018.
Reference code: IE-027-2018
ABOUT THIS JOB
- Deadline Sunday, March 25, 2018
- Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
- Municipality Trondheim
- Place of service Trondheim
- Jobbnorge ID 148824
- Internal ID IE-027-2018
- Scope Fulltime
- Duration Temporary
- Applications on this job are registered in an electronic form on jobbnorge.no
- You must complete: Standard CV
- Please refer to where you first saw this job advertised!