Data Science Software Engineer
Deputy Vice Chancellor Research (Core Research Facilities)
Sydney Informatics Hub
- Opportunity to support translational data science across all faculties in the university
- Two vacancies, located at Darlington Campus
- Full-time fixed term for 3 years, remuneration package: $106K p.a. which includes base salary, leave loading and up to 17% super
About the opportunity
The Data Science Software Engineers are exciting roles to support cutting edge research and development in a critical and transformational field. They gather user requirements and work closely with data science research engineers to build the applications that deliver the insight to researchers.
In this position, you will:
- provide software engineering support for projects
- support activities in the form of software development for data science
- support the identification and dissemination of research opportunities in the university and the wider business communities.
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance in recruiting talent aligned to these values in the pursuit of research excellence. We are looking for a Data Science Software Engineer who possesses:
- tertiary education in in a computational area of study (computer science, computational statistics, engineering, physics, biology, for example)
- an understanding of modern data software and tools, from cloud computing to the many existing commercial products used for data analytics
- a knowledge of modern data-centric programing languages including one of Python, R, and development languages including one of C++ or Java
- experience in the use of complex data sets.
The University of Sydney is promoting advanced data science research capabilities of relevance to all its Faculties and Schools. The Sydney Informatics Hub (SIH) is a core research facility of the University of Sydney. SIH aims to develop and apply data science and machine learning technologies across all fields of academic study - including business, science, health, engineering, and the humanities. SIH comprises a team of data science and software research engineers tasked with the challenge of translating the best data science into tools, platforms and systems to assist in research and outcomes across all these fields.
Since our inception 160 years ago, the University of Sydney has led to improve the world around us. We believe in education for all and that effective leadership makes lives better. These same values are reflected in our approach to diversity and inclusion, and underpin our long-term strategy for growth. We’re Australia's first university and have an outstanding global reputation for academic and research excellence. Across our campuses, we employ more than 6,000 academic and non-academic staff who support over 60,000 students.
We are undergoing significant transformative change which brings opportunity for innovation, progressive thinking, breaking with convention, challenging the status quo, and improving the world around us.
How to apply
For more information on the position and University, please view the candidate information pack available from the job’s listing on the University of Sydney careers website.
All applications must be submitted via the University of Sydney careers website. Visit sydney.edu.au/recruitment and search by the reference number to apply.
Please note: visa sponsorship is not available for this position
Closing Date: 11:30 pm Sunday 18th March 2018
The University of Sydney is committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications from people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; equity target groups including women, people with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQ; and people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent, are encouraged.
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.