UNIV 100: First Year Seminar Lecturer
Core Curriculum Program
Qatar University is the national institution of higher education in Qatar. It provides high quality undergraduate and graduate programs that prepare competent graduates, destined to shape the future of Qatar. The university community has diverse and committed faculty who teach and conduct research which addresses relevant local and regional challenges, advances knowledge, and contributes actively to the needs and aspirations of society.
Core Curriculum Program (CCP)
The Core Curriculum courses provide broad exposure to multi discipline areas such as social & behavioral sciences, humanities/fine arts, natural sciences and mathematics that all undergraduate students are compulsory to take while pursuing their degrees in the University.
The Core Curriculum Program provides an integrative approach to Core Curriculum Education. The Program provides opportunities for students to synthesize knowledge, promotes a deeper understanding of self in the context of Qatar society, and fosters a broader understanding of the global environment in respond to the demands of the 21st Century. Through the CCP, QU students will be well-prepared to pursuit a career in their chosen disciplines and be engaged citizens in both the local and global communities.
The Core Curriculum Program seeks to recruit full-time faculty to teach First Year students create greater success in college and in life. The Faculty will teach students strategies for making greater academic,professional, and personal success. The purpose of this course is to facilitate students’ transition from high school to university environment and success at the University. The Faculty will teach topics such as learning styles, study techniques, note-taking, test-taking, personal wellness, effective writing and reading, time management, career and educational planning, critical thinking, problem solving and interpersonal skill development. Qualified candidates will also be involved in further development of the program. Applicants must have outstanding experiences in teaching First Year students. The Faculty must also be competent to conduct research and involved in scholarly publications.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Teach skills for First Year students university success using integrated teaching and learning methods
- Provide high quality instructions and advising using effective teaching methods and techniques to facilitate appropriate support for student needs.
- Maintain attendance records,submit grades and provide constructive feedback and relevant information to students throughout the semester.
- Work with students in academic settings to improve students’ performance.
- Help students develop excellent academic habits for college success.
- Advise students about college success,academic programs, career to help them make informed academic decisions.
- Refer students to appropriate student and academic support services available in the university
- Engage in active scholarship, university,and community services.
- Collaborate with colleagues on educational activities.
- Actively participate in Faculty Professional Development Program/s.
- A masters degree in relevant field
- Experience in teaching First Year students
- Experience in teaching First Year seminar courses
- Excellent interpersonal skills, teaching skills and in dealing with students
- Excellent coordination, planning and organizational skills
- Effective communication skills particularly with diverse student population
- Ability to build good rapport with a variety of students, faculty and student advisors or counselors
- Service oriented attitude, flexible, patient and creative
- Skills in problem solving
- A record of successful baccalaureate-level teaching in a University or College
- Strong commitment to student success
- Familiarity with inquiry-based learning strategies
- Ability to teach in Arabic is required
- Proficiency in written and spoken English will be an asset
- Curriculum Vitae with cover letter.
- Experience Certificates.
- At least three references including contact numbers and email addresses.
- Current Curriculum Vitae.
- Cover letter.
- Teaching, research, and service philosophy.
- Three referees’ contact information (physical and email addresses as well their telephones contact).
- Copy of highest earned credential (transcript of highest degree if graduated from an institution where course work was completed. However, if no course work was completed, an copy of certificate letter from the registrar of your highest credential granting institution regarding your highest academic degree).
- Any additional documentation that you feel is relevant to your application.
- Competitive tax-free salary.
- Housing allowance in accordance with HRM Law.
- Annual round trip air tickets for candidate and dependents according to HRM Law.
- Public health care and health insurance to candidate and family members.
- Annual leave in accordance with HRM Law.
- End-of-contract indemnity.
- A three-year renewable contract.
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
- Tax-free salary.
- Furnished accommodation in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual round trip air tickets for faculty member and dependents in accordance with QUHR policies.
- Educational allowance for candidate's children (eligible candidates only) in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Private health care and health insurance in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual leave in accordance with QU HR policies.
- End-of-contract indemnity.
How To Apply
- Returning Applicant: Please login in QU Recruitment Online website (https://careers.qu.edu.qa) to update/edit your saved profile. Use this profile to apply for this position.
- New Applicant: You need to setup an account with QU Recruitment Online website (https://careers.qu.edu.qa) and complete your personal profile. Once your profile is complete you may use it to apply for an open Position.
If you are qualified, highly motivated and interested in applying to be a faulty at the Core Curriculum Program, please send your latest CV and relevant documents to Dr. Rana Sobh, Director, Core Curriculum Program, email: CCPDirector@qu.edu.qa .
It is recommended that you also apply using the QU recruitment website https://careers.qu.edu.qa . For general information about employment at Qatar University, please visit the general Human Resources web page http://www.qu.edu.qa/offices/hr/index.php .