Senior Lecturer in Product Design
Are you in academia or industry and are looking for an exciting and flexible role which uses your creativity to contribute to the delivery of Product Design based programmes? Does your experience bring a fresh perspective which will encourage under-represented groups, particularly women into this field? Are you passionate about making a difference through your imaginative approach and expertise in growth areas of Product Design such as Sports Technology Consumer Electronics, Eco-Design, Wearable Technologies, Smart Materials and Consumer Product Design?
We are currently building a diverse team of creative and innovative people to establish our Engineering & Product Design degrees in our new state-of-the-art Engineering and Digital Technology Park. With cutting-edge teaching labs containing brand new equipment, students will put their learning immediately into practice, working with those studying engineering and creative disciplines and reproducing a real workplace environment.
You will join the team at this exciting time to play an important role in designing innovative Engineering & Applied Design programmes offering a creative response to the needs of both students and industry through an inclusive, accessible curriculum delivered through small group interdisciplinary teaching and a project-based approach.
You will have the opportunity to make a key contribution to a number of new programmes, building on your experience of sharing knowledge and your skills in a learning or industrial environment. We welcome applications from a broad range of backgrounds and offer a supportive and flexible working environment with the full range of flexible working options. Ideally, you will have:
- a good relevant undergraduate degree
- a doctorate in a relevant subject area or equivalent industrial experience
- excellent teaching and presentation skills with the ability to foster creative approaches when responding to scholarly challenges
- a comprehensive understanding of Product Design
- a specialism or be well placed to develop, possibly in one of the following: User Centred Design, Environmental and Sustainable Design, CAD, CAM, Materials and Manufacturing Processes, Industry Focused project work, Consumer Culture, Visual Communication, Design Prototyping and Entrepreneurial Design.
- knowledge of developing initiatives underpinning the subject area
- the ability to develop areas of interest in Creative and Digital Technologies
Does this sound like you?
If so, we are waiting for your application. Applications are invited from candidates who wish to work part time or on a job share basis and are welcomed from BAME (Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic) backgrounds as they are currently under-represented at this level. Applications are also welcomed from early career Academics.
Informal enquiries are welcomed by Professor Stuart Harmer, Head of Department, Engineering & Design on 01243 816068 or email S.Harmer@chi.ac.uk, or David Heaton, Head of Product design, on 01243 812318 or e-mail D.Heaton@chi.ac.uk
Interview Date: Tuesday 10 April 2018
Click here to download and save the full job profile.
Click here to download our Engineering and Digital Technology Park brochure.