Electrical Technician in the Engineering Department (EN), Electrical Engineering Group (EL), Fibre Optics and Cabling Section (FC).
You will join:
- The Department that provides engineering competencies, infrastructure systems and technical coordination for the world's largest particle accelerator complex and its experimental facilities.
- The Group that is responsible for CERN's electrical and optical fibre distribution networks. Its main missions are to operate, maintain, extend and renovate the electrical network from 400 kV to 400/230 V and the optical fibre infrastructure; analyse and make projections for CERN's electrical energy consumption and manage relations with the energy suppliers. The group is also in charge of modifications and extensions to the networks when required by new projects, with project studies, equipment procurement, installation, supervision and commissioning.
- The Fibre Optics and Cabling Section (FC) that is in charge of CERN's optical fibre infrastructure, ensures the technical expertise in the field of fibre optics and provides optical and copper signal cables, standardised racks and DC power cables for magnets in the accelerators and experimental areas. The section provides engineering support to the CERN users, centralises their cabling requests and organises the installation activities through external industrial-support contractors.
As an Electrical Technician in the Fibre Optics and Cabling Section, you will actively contribute to the continuous extension, consolidation and maintenance of CERN's cabling installations constituting the infrastructure for the signalling and magnet powering systems of the various accelerators.
- Establish cabling requirements in collaboration with users.
- Take part in defining the cable types, specifications and terminations.
- Take part in defining the cross-section of the magnet power supply cables.
- Prepare the necessary computer-based work files for the contractors and users.
- Study, propose, implement and monitor work execution schedules and ensure compliance with the required activities.
- Establish cabling campaign planning with the contractor and CERN coordination.
- Organize and manage work site meetings.
- Verify the quality of the work performed by contractors.
- Organize maintenance and repair activities when required.
- Prepare work progress reports.
- Prepare and update technical documentation and specifications.
Higher technical diploma in the field of electricity, or equivalent.
Experience and competencies
The experience required for this post is:
- Proven experience in supervising low voltage and signal cabling installations, in particular preparation and verification of work files, work supervision and acceptance of low voltage and signal cabling electrical installations.
- Initial experience in organizing and conducting electrical cable tests.
- Initial experience in technical supervision of contracts: coordinate subcontractors with users' requests, ensure compliance and availability of installations.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Assembly of connectors and cables, including related techniques and tools: practical knowledge of signal and power cabling technologies and in particular connection technology.
- Application of modular low voltage power supplies for electronic systems: practical knowledge of low voltage and signal networks.
- Use of Office software packages.
- Knowledge of Electromagnetic Compatibility, Interference and Susceptibility (EMC, EMI and EMS): knowledge of EMC-related aspects would be an advantage.
- Use of scientific and engineering software packages: knowledge of CAD software (e.g. Autocad) would be an advantage.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Managing self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting; taking initiative beyond regular tasks and making things happen.
- Solving problems: assimilating large quantities of information, identifying key issues and formulating conclusions clearly and concisely; identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them.
- Achieving results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations.
- Demonstrating flexibility: adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements; being willing to work on different projects simultaneously.
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships; contributing to promoting a positive atmosphere in the team through an optimistic and constructive attitude; addressing issues.
The language competencies required are:
- Spoken and written English or French: ability to draw up technical texts in one of the two languages, as well as ability to understand and speak the other language in professional contexts.
Eligibility and closing date
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success.
We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 03.04.2018.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 3 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry. Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in radiation areas.
- These functions require interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence is required.
- Shift work, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.