PhD Position in Conceptual Product Development, Prototyping and Experimentation
NTNU´s TrollABS and MTP are inviting candidate to join our team (currently 8 PHDs , 1 Post Doc and 15 Master students) of product developers, hackers, experimenters and our Skunkworks like lab for extreme product and system development.
Having a background from Stanford’s d.school, Aalto´s Design Factory and Silicon Valley’s Maker Movement and being based on rapid prototyping and agile software development, we are looking for candidates to complement our interdisciplinary TrollLABS team that have one thing in common:
A passion to build and test extreme, out of the box prototypes, so that we can achieve extreme solutions. Our aim is to fundamentally understand the early phase of product/system design and development.
Currently we are looking for someone with a ME/CS/HCI or Cybernetics background who is interested to work in the intersection of mechanical engineering, prototype building, sensors, data analysis and user interaction design. On a research level, any topic that falls into the fuzzy front end of engineering extreme products or systems is relevant. Besides Engineering we are closely interacting with the Entrepreneurship and especially SFU ENgage, Medical and Computers Science community though we also have joint projects with fine Arts and Architecture. We are internationally well connected having exchanges with Stanford, UC Berkeley, Cornell University, MIT but also ETHZ, DTU, Aalto and Chalmers.
Most work is interdisciplinary and team based and we are lucky to having our own workshop and lab at heart of NTNU, Gløshaugen/Perleporten and a secondary facility, TrollLABS Medical at the medical faculty. We are looking forward to having a highly motived individual onboard who like to question, to learn, to build and test
Candidates should have good theoretical and experimental knowledge and technical skills in one key area and a broad interest and drive for experimentation and ideation across interdisciplinary boundaries. The research is guided and output on the highest international level is expected, prior experience conference or journal papers, patents, projects/code portfolios are a plus.
Applicants are evaluated according to the following selection criteria:
- Master’s degree in an Engineering discipline like Mechanical Engineering, Computer Sciences, Electrical Engineering, and Cybernetics Engineering
- Having done courses and projects at NTNU´s TrollLABS, Stanford/global ME310 or Aalto/global Design Factory or equivalent maker and prototyping sites.
- Knowledge rapid prototyping (CAD, laser/water jet cutting, CNC milling incl. PCBs, 3D printing, casting, materials etc.) and fast ideation, design thinking and conducting experiments, some programming and mechatronics skills (Arduino, Raspberry pies, sensors)
- High communication skills and ability to present in a clear and structured manner
- Excellent knowledge in English, both orally and in writing
- Be highly motivated with a good grade average (minimum overall grade B of the master study, corresponding to 120 credits).
The PhD candidates will be required to work in Trondheim at the Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering.
Conditions of appointment
PhD Candidates are remunerated in code 1017, and are normally remunerated with a gross salary NOK 436 900 before tax deduction. There will be a 2 % deduction to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund from gross wage. As a member of the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund you are offered:
- A good pension scheme
- A favorable housing loan interest
- Good insurance schemes
Applicants for a PhD will have to engage in an organized PhD training program, and appointment in the positions requires approval of the applicants plan and qualifications for the PhD study within three months from the date of commencement of the PhD position. See https://www.ntnu.edu/iv/phd-information and https://innsida.ntnu.no/doktorgrad for more information.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants. The positions adhere to the Norwegian Government's policy of balanced ethnicity, age and gender. Persons with immigrant background are encouraged to apply. NTNU´s objective is to increase the number of females in scientific positions and female applicants are therefore encouraged to apply.
According to the new Freedom of Information Act, information concerning the applicant may be made public even if the applicant has requested not to be included in the list of applicants.
The application should contain:
- CV, it should include: relevant formal educational background, diploma grade, participation in research projects, work experience, skills and any other relevant experience.
- Certified diploma (note that Diploma supplement or similar has to be attached for Master degrees outside Norway and Master diplomas from China have to be verified by CDGDC (http://www.chinadegrees.cn/en/).
- Certified grade transcripts and documentation of an average grade of B or better as described above.
- Three references.
- Motivational letter of maximum two pages describing why the applicant wants to come to NTNU, the applicant’s view of research challenges within the area of the PhD position and how the applicant´s competence can contribute to solve these challenges.
- Statement of experience with regard to the subject areas mentioned above.
- If applicable, list of publications, conferences presentations and other relevant scientific work
- Proficiency in English, best shown by providing TOEFL scores.
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) Test scores or equivalent would strengthen the application.
Applications should to be submitted electronically through www.jobbnorge.no. Applications submitted elsewhere will not be considered.
For further information do not hesitate to contact:
Professor Martin Steinert
Video conferencing: https://appear.in/trolllabs
Phone: +47 91 89 78 30
Mark the application with ref.no SO IV-27/18
Commencement date of the position is 15 August 2018 at the latest.
Application deadline: 7 March 2018
About this job
- Deadline Wednesday, March 7, 2018
- Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
- Municipality Trondheim
- Place of service Dep. of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering
- Jobbnorge ID 148589
- Internal ID 2018/5691
- Scope Fulltime
- Duration Temporary
- Applications on this job are registered in an electronic form on jobbnorge.no
- You must complete: Standard CV
- Please refer to where you first saw this job advertised!