Business Systems Analyst
The Business Systems Analyst is part of the Global Support Operations team within Global Programs. Directly reporting to the Managing Director, Operations, the Business Systems Analyst analyzes and documents business processes, and identifies and implements technology solutions to support the needs of over 300 faculty and staff and 3,000 students within the four units of Global Programs: Global Support, the Center for English Language and Orientation Programs, Study Abroad in Boston and overseas, and the International Students and Scholars Office. S/he assesses the business needs of these divisions, consults with key constituents in each and provides strategies for meeting the needs in accordance with University Information Services and Technology policies and procedures. In addition, the Analyst is responsible for supporting the educational technology needs of the academic activities of the units. Facilitating communication across Global Programs’ units is key to this role.
Key Responsibilities/Essential Job Functions:
- Works with the Managing Director of Operations and the Global Programs leadership teams to design and implement systems that meet the business objectives of the four Global Programs units leveraging University systems, protocols and resources while ensuring Global Programs’ needs are met.
- Serves as a liaison between Global Programs business stakeholders and technology project teams in IS&T, other departments at BU or third parties.
- Works with Global Programs leadership and business stakeholders to identify workflow/systems inefficiencies, risks and interruptions
- Makes recommendations to mitigate inefficiencies through technology solutions, as appropriate, assessing scope, and organizational readiness to implement the solutions.
- Regularly communicates with Global Programs stakeholders, explaining processes, gaps and technical concepts for all audiences – particularly non-technical audiences.
- Gathers business requirements for Global Programs-led information technology projects or assesses business and functional requirements and other project documents for IS&T-led projects involving Global Programs, ensuring they are properly addressed during systems implementations.
- Creates and reviews project briefs, business process models, data flows, use- and test-case scenarios for end to end technology solutions.
- Participates in the implementation of technology projects, working alongside relevant business owners, project team members and subject matter experts at all phases of the projects.
- Develops and implements training for new systems, ensuring systems administrators and business owners have the tools and the ability to train end users, new and existing staff.
- Communicates project status to Managing Director and Global Programs leadership team through regular reports and presentations, and works collaboratively with the Program Data Analyst.
- Manages all project-related documentation and ensures consistency across all Global Programs units.
- Works with the Managing Director, Operations and business owners within Global Programs’ units to monitor and evaluate on an ongoing basis the effectiveness of technical solutions, identifying IT risks, mitigation plans, and regulatory compliance needs across the units.
- Defines internal controls, and develops and implements monitoring processes for Global Programs’ technology solutions to assess effectiveness of solutions against business process goals, test security of data, and evaluate return on investment of solutions.
- Work with Global Programs leadership to set guidelines for prioritization of projects, systems enhancement requests, and resource allocation.
- Conducts periodic needs and risk analyses for all four units to ensure that technology serves the needs of end users in the most cost effective way, and that projects are executed according to University policies and host country regulations for overseas operations.
- Participates in or at times leads Global Programs efforts to respond to and implement solutions to comply with new or existing regulatory requirements, in the US or abroad.
- Develops risk management plans and ensures the proper documentation and training of Global Program’s business processes supported by technical solutions.
- Acts as an advocate for the IT needs of Global Programs while maintaining working relationships with other IT offices on campus and participating in IS&T initiatives
- Bachelor’s degree required in technology, business administration, or related field;
- 4+ years of experience in a technical business analyst, or similar role; experience in an academic environment helpful.
- Good understanding of databases and working knowledge of SQL a plus.
- Excellent project management skills; experience with project life-cycle management tools a plus.
- Experience leading requirements gathering sessions and documenting business requirements.
- Excellent organizational and communication/writing skills a must, and experience training or presenting desired.
Job Location Boston , Massachusetts, United States
Position Type Full-Time/Regular