Laboratory Technical Engineer (Solid-State Detectors)
Laboratory Technical Engineer in the Experimental Physics Department (EP), Detector Technologies Group (DT), Detector Development Section (DD)
You will join:
- The Experimental Physics (EP) Department which carries out basic research in the field of experimental particle physics in a stimulating scientific atmosphere, standing as an important reference for the European physics community. It also contributes to the education and training of young scientists.
- The Detector Technologies (DT) Group which is in charge of the development, construction, operation and maintenance of many particle detectors and their technical infrastructure for the different experiments at CERN.
- The Detector Development (DD) Section provides expertise in various fields of detector technologies. It also comprises the operation of several facilities for detector R&D, such as the wire bonding and interconnect facility, and the quality and reliability assurance laboratory, dedicated laboratories for the characterization of semiconductor and gaseous detectors, and it operates the EP irradiation facilities.
EP-DT Website: http://ep-dep-dt.web.cern.ch
As Laboratory Technical Engineer in the Detector Development Section, you will be responsible for the maintenance and operation of equipment and infrastructure in service and research facilities for detector development and construction, and contribute to detector characterization, qualification and construction activities.
In the Departmental Silicon Facility (DSF) and Solid-State Detector (SSD) laboratory, solid-state detectors are developed, characterized, qualified and assembled into detector components. In the SSD laboratory various test systems are used to evaluate the properties and performance of the semiconductor sensors. The DSF facility comprises a Wire Bonding and interconnect laboratory (BONDLAB), a Quality Assurance and Reliability Testing (QART) laboratory and clean room work area.
The BONDLAB and QART-Lab are service installations providing support to all CERN experiments and projects. The BONDLAB provide micro-connections to solid-state sensors and to electronics chips. The QART lab provides service, equipment and expertise to perform reliability testing on a large variety of components.
Contributions to preparing infrastructure and test set-ups for particle detectors being prototyped or constructed in the Group will also be part of the work.
- Ensure the operation and maintenance of the EP Departmental Silicon Facility and the Solid State Detector laboratory. This includes cooling, air handling systems and electro-mechanical equipment, e.g. vacuum and gas distribution systems or low and intermediate voltage wiring.
- Work on the conception, design and building of laboratory test benches, mechanical support structures and take part in detector construction and infrastructure projects in the group.
- Be responsible for the equipment inventory, lab supplies and equipment ordering and follow up the sub-contracted maintenance of the different installations.
- Contribute to the services provided in the DSF and SSD facilities, interacting with clients and support measurements.
- Become safety responsible and installation supervisor of the DSF and SSD installations after an initial training phase.
Higher Technical Diploma or Bachelor degree in the field of electro-mechanical engineering or equivalent.
Experience and competencies
The experience required for this post is:
- Demonstrated experience in electro-mechanical systems in an industrial or a research environment.
- Experience in design and/or conception of mechanical parts would be an asset, e.g. test jigs for semiconductor sensor testing.
- Experience as work place safety officer or other safety roles would be an advantage.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Installation, maintenance & operation of Control systems and/or use of data acquisition software would be an asset.
- Technical infrastructure operation: e.g. cleanroom operation maintenance.
- Design, construction and testing of electro-mechanical equipment, e.g. laboratory test systems and electrical testing.
- Installation, maintenance and operation of electro-mechanical equipment.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Achieving results: having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind.
- Solving problems: producing workable and timely solutions that meet requirements.
- Demonstrating flexibility: demonstrating a willingness to accept changing circumstances; supporting initiatives for change.
- Working in teams: working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities.
The language competencies required are:
Spoken and written English or French: ability to draw up technical texts in one of the two languages; good knowledge of both languages would be an asset.
Eligibility and closing date
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success.
We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 20.03.2018.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry.
Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in radiation areas.
- A valid driving licence.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.