Theoretical physicist in the area of Quantum Field Theory/String Theory.
We are looking for a theoretical physicist in the area of Quantum Field Theory/String Theory and our search will therefore be targeted preferentially towards a theoretical physicist with experience in this specific field.
The objectives of the Theoretical Physics Department are:
- To develop new theoretical ideas aimed at understanding the fundamental constituents and forces of nature.
- To develop their relevance for the experimental programme of CERN and to take full advantage of the stimulating environment of a large laboratory.
- To contribute to the general scientific culture at CERN through active participation in the various training programmes and promotion of scientific events on site.
Your main functions will include:
- Making significant contributions to theoretical research related to elementary particle physics.
- Participating in and initiating a large variety of activities within the Theoretical Physics Department and possibly in collaboration with the experimental physicists working at CERN.
- Taking part in CERN committees and study groups.
- Helping maintain continued contacts with the outside scientific community.
PhD in the field of physics, or equivalent.
Experience and competencies
The experience required for this post is:
- Thorough knowledge of theoretical physics.
- Approximately 5 to 10 years' post-doctoral research activities which have led to the publication of high quality scientific papers on subjects linked to the research carried out at CERN.
- Evidence of ability to make significant contributions to the work of the Organization.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Computational and mathematical physics.
- Particle physics, phenomenology.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Achieving results.
- Solving problems.
- Building relationships.
- Creating vision and strategic partnerships.
The language competencies required are:
- Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language in professional contexts.
- Ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports and to make oral presentations in at least one of the two languages.
Eligibility and closing date
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success.
We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 20.03.2018.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry. Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.