Software Engineer within the Engineering Department (EN), Survey Mechatronics & Measurements Group (SMM), Acquisition Processing & Control software Section (APC).
You will join:
- The Engineering Department (EN);
- The Survey Mechatronics and Measurements Group (SMM) responsible for the geodetic metrology of the accelerators and experiments for the whole CERN, the design and the operation of the mechatronics of the CERN accelerators beam intercepting devices (BIDs), the development of robotic solutions for remote inspections and tele-manipulation in hazardous areas, as well as the measurement solutions and radiation tests of electronic components;
- The Acquisition, Processing and Control Software Section (APC) in charge of the architecture, design, implementation, testing, deployment and maintenance of the software for the survey, for the acquisition & control of the Beam Intercepting Devices, for the RADiation MONitoring devices, for the nTOF DAQ and for the UA9 SPS experiment.
As a Software Engineer in the SMM Group, you will follow-up all the development phases of the software to monitor and control Beam Intercepting Devices (BIDs) in the CERN accelerators, or data acquisition software for specific instrumentation or physics detectors. You will take responsibility for all the software control layers ranging from data acquisition, to middleware and front-end development for Graphical User Interfaces and dynamic web interfaces.
More in particular, you will:
- Discuss with engineers and physicists in charge of the operation of the equipment to define functional specifications (users requirements) and translate them into detailed technical specifications (software requirements) and appropriate software solutions;
- Develop and maintain custom web sites, web applications and related databases;
- Develop high performance back-end software for data handling and parsing;
- Design and implement new control and monitoring software based on the requirements of new projects or take the technical responsibilities of existing projects to be maintained, upgraded and documented;
- Write technical specifications and software documentation;
- Define and promote software development best practices, documentation guidelines and testing protocol;
- Mentor junior developers;
- Participate to commissioning and operation of the systems in the CERN accelerators, as part for the SMM Group stand-by service.
Master's degree or PhD or equivalent relevant experience in the field of computing, computer science, software engineering, or equivalent.
Experience and competencies
The experience required for this post is:
- Demonstrated experience with the development of software projects based on modern web technologies;
- Professional experience with relational databases including a strong knowledge of SQL;
- Proven experience in design and implementation of back-end, supervision, data handling, control and/or acquisition software in C++;
- Experience working with Linux operating systems;
- Demonstrated experience in requirements definition, software documentation and software projects management.
The following are considered assets but are not mandatory:
- Experience with industrial control or software development for hardware control;
- Experience in Java development.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Development and configuration of online software for data acquisition;
- Programming/Software development in C++ under Linux;
- Database/Repository design: database design, use and maintenance (SQL, Oracle);
- Network control and operation: knowledge of network and communication protocols.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Communicating effectively: expressing opinions, ideas and suggestions with conviction and in a logical/structured manner; keeping to the point.
- Solving problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them.
- Working in teams: working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities.
The language competencies required are:
- Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language in professional contexts.
- Ability to draw-up technical specifications and scientific reports and to make oral presentations in one of the two languages.
Eligibility and closing date
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success.
We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 18.03.2018.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry.
Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and public holidays.
- Work in radiation areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.