Dean – School of Medicine
Dean – School of Medicine
Koç University invites applications and nominations for the position of the Dean of the School of Medicine (KUSOM), with the appointment effective in September 2018. Koç University is a private, nonprofit institution of higher education, founded in 1993. Koç University is on a state-of-the-art campus at Rumelifeneri, Sarıyer, overlooking the Black Sea, close to the city of Istanbul. The Koç University Hospital is located in the Health Sciences Campus of Koç University in Topkapı, İstanbul.
The University is committed to the pursuit of excellence in both research and teaching. Its aim is to provide world-class education and research opportunities to a high quality group of students by distinguished faculty in order to provide an environment for the conduct of world-class scientific research exploring and expanding the boundaries of knowledge. The medium of instruction is English. More detailed information about Koç University can be found at the web site: http://www.ku.edu.tr.
As an integral part of the University, the mission of the School of Medicine is to educate the future leaders of the medical profession who have the highest professional standards, who have a strong foundation in the scientific basis of medicine, who can apply that knowledge to the prevention and treatment of disease, and who are highly skilled in providing the best care to patients. The School was established to respond to the societal needs, and to fulfill the commitment of the University to medicine, life sciences and related fields. Koç University is ranked as one of the two universities in Turkey in the Times Higher Education “ clinical, pre-clinical and health” subject ranking. More detailed information about Koç University School of Medicine can be found at the web site: http://medicine.ku.edu.tr.
The Dean reports directly to the President and works closely with the Vice Presidents for Academic Affairs (VPAA) and for Research & Development (VPRD) . The qualifications for the position include:
- A distinguished research record in basic medical and/or clinical medical sciences with a commitment to medical education;
- Demonstrated ability for organizational and interpersonal skills.
The Dean will manage, and direct the academic and administrative operations of KUSOM. In this capacity the major responsibilities of the Dean include:
- Development of future core strategies of KUSOM;
- Development of the research programs and infrastructure;
- Recruiting faculty, staff and students;
- Faculty appointments, evaluations, and promotions;
- Design, implementation, and continual review of the medical curriculum that is consistent with the educational philosophy of the University in general;
- Ensuring coordination and collaboration between KUSOM and Koç University Hospital;
- Management of institutional relations with the Higher Educational Council, and governmental healthcare organizations.
The compensation package is competitive. All information on candidates is to be kept strictly confidential.
Review of applications will start immediately and continue until the position is filled. Candidates should submit their letter, a list of references, curriculum vitae, and further inquiries to:
Professor M. İrşadi Aksun
Chair of Dean Search Committee, VPRD
Rumelifeneri Yolu, 34450 Sarıyer, İstanbul, Turkey
Phone: 90-212-338 1539 Fax: 90-212-338 1205