Research Fellow In Innovation and Development
INTERNATIONAL RECRUITMENT Maastricht, The Netherlands
Research Fellow In Innovation and Development
Organizational Unit : United Nations University – Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (UNU-MERIT)
Reference Number : 2018/UNU/MERIT/FTA/RF/02
Applications to : By Post:
Director, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology
By E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: 31 March 2018
United Nations University Objectives:
The United Nations University (UNU) is an international community of scholars, engaged in research, postgraduate teaching and capacity development and dissemination of knowledge in furthering the purposes and principles of the Charter of the United Nations. The mission of UNU is to contribute, through research and capacity building, to efforts to resolve the pressing global problems that are the concern of the United Nations and its Member States. For more information please visit http://unu.edu.
United Nations University – Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (UNU-MERIT)
UNU-MERIT explores the social, political and economic factors that drive technological innovation, with a particular focus on creation, diffusion and access to knowledge, as well as all aspects of governance in domestic and global organizations, from risk assessment to policy analysis, design and evaluation. UNU-MERIT functions as a unique research centre and graduate school for over 80 PhD fellows and 100 Master’s students, and as a UN think tank addressing a broad range of policy questions on science, innovation and democratic governance. In addition to doing policy-relevant research, the institute trains specialists who combine a high level of academic scholarship with leadership, in order to strengthen democratic governance in domestic and international organizations. The institute’s research and training program focuses on the following eight themes: (1) The Economics of Knowledge and Innovation; (2) Poverty, Social Protection and Inclusive Innovation; (3) Economic Development, Innovation and Governance; (4) Sustainable Development, Innovation and Societal Transitions; (5) Innovation Systems Indicators and Policy; (6) Migration and Development; (7) Governance and Learning in ICT-enabled Communities; and (8) Population, Development and Labour Economics. For more information, in particular on the details of the research themes, please visit http://www.merit.unu.edu.
UNU-MERIT works in close partnership with Maastricht University. In particular, the Maastricht Graduate School of Governance (MGSoG) has integrated its activities into UNU-MERIT, including the Master and PhD programs, and all research activities. For more information on MGSoG, see http://mgsog.merit.unu.edu.
Under the authority and supervision of the Director of UNU-MERIT, the successful candidate will be entrusted with the following tasks:
- Contribute to UNU-MERIT’s research program on knowledge and innovation (i.e. in the areas of the impact and drivers of innovation and knowledge creation; innovation systems; and inclusive innovation), by carrying out research projects and publishing in international academic journals;
- Engage in fund-raising through research projects in the field of the institute;
- Coordinate outreach activities (publications, workshops, etc.) in the field of the institute;
- Contributing to the teaching activities of the institute (PhD and/or Master level);
- Contributing to the dissemination of the institute’s research results to the international community of policymakers and policy-opinion makers, in particular the broader UN;
- Supervising or co-supervising PhD Fellows in the institute;
- Perform other related tasks as assigned by the Director.
Required Qualifications and Competencies:
- A PhD in a discipline relevant to the institute’s program;
- Proven strong research background and publications in areas related to innovation and development;
- Good knowledge of the international research and policy agenda in areas related to the institute’s program;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English. Knowledge of other official UN languages would be an asset;
- Good team player with strong interpersonal skills demonstrated by the ability to work in a multi- cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity;
- Work experience in managing research programs in academia, research or other organizations would be an asset;
- Experience in managing and seeking research funding from donors and international funding agencies would be an asset;
- Professional experience in teaching would be an asset;
We offer a competitive net salary (tax-exempted) at P-3/P-4/P5 level and allowances including post adjustment. Post adjustment is subject to change. The pay level of the successful candidate will be commensurate to their level of experience, and will be consistent with the general staff categories of the United Nations (https://careers.un.org/lbw/home.aspx?viewtype=SC).
The post carries the standard set of United Nations benefits and entitlements for international positions in the UN Common Systems, including participation in the United Nations Joint Staff Pension Fund, the possibility of participation in a health insurance programme, education grant, removal expenses and home leave. For more information, please visit http://www.un.org/Depts/OHRM/salaries_allowances/salary
The Rector reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a level below that is advertised.
Duration of Contract:
This is a full time fixed-term appointment. The period of initial appointment will be for a period of one (1) year with the possibility of renewal on a rolling fixed-term appointment basis, subject to satisfactory work performance, up to a maximum of six (6) years. The mandatory age of retirement for United Nations staff is 65 years.
Staff members of the United Nations University are international civil servants subject to the authority of the Rector and may be assigned to any of the activities or offices of the United Nations University.
Applications from suitably qualified women candidates and those from developing countries are particularly encouraged.
Starting Date: As soon as possible.
Interested applicants should submit their applications, preferably by email (to email@example.com) and must include the following:
- A cover letter setting out how the qualifications and experience match the requirements of the position;
- A completed and signed UNU Personal History (P.11) form downloadable from United Nations University website at http://unu.edu/about/hr. Please avoid using similar forms provided by other United Nations organizations;
- Full contact information of three (3) referees; and
- The application must also indicate the reference number of the vacancy announcement (2018/UNU/MERIT/FTA/RF/02).