Dean College of Engineering, Sciences and Technology
Fiji National University is the national university, offering technical and vocational training and higher education to approximately 30,000 students each year. The University has 2,400 academic and support staff, working in ten campuses across the nation.
The University is making a major investment in upgrading the quality and relevance of its teaching and research and in 2018 will invest over $60m in modernising its buildings and facilities. The University is seeking an experienced and visionary Dean to lead the College of Engineering, Science and Technology in the next stage of its development.
The College is the largest in the University with 6,000 students and 260 academic faculty. The College has recently redesigned its entire undergraduate syllabus to meet the requirements of the Washington Accord (for honours degrees), the Dublin Accord (for diplomas) and Institute of Professional Engineers New Zealand (IPENZ) accreditation. This a challenging senior executive role and one that will require the ability to lead ongoing organisational change and development.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide leadership and strategic direction.
- Ensure that the College develops and provides teaching programmes of excellence at undergraduate and postgraduate levels which meet the needs of employers in Fiji and the wider region.
- Ensures that the College’s engineering degrees / diplomas achieve Washington Accord / Dublin Accord accreditation by the Institute of Professional Engineers New Zealand (IPENZ).
- Ensure that the College undertakes applied research and contributes to scholarship that aligns with national policy priorities.
- Foster a culture within the College where the management of academic and general staff is characterised by excellence, professionalism, collegial and inclusive decision-making, openness and honesty.
- Participate fully as a member of the Senior Management Group, assisting the Vice-Chancellor in the management and administration of the University.
PhD (or equivalent) in engineering.
Demonstrable experience in providing outstanding academic leadership and management in a tertiary institution, including:
- A significant personal record of applied research and scholarship.
- A record of successful curriculum development, including the incorporation of new developments in tertiary pedagogy and distance delivery (including educational technologies).
- A demonstrable commitment to the importance of both technical and vocational education and training, as well as higher education.
- Understanding of academic quality assurance processes and academic programme development.
- Experience with national and international external accreditation bodies and processes, especially the Washington Accord and Dublin Accord.
An effective, culturally-sensitive leadership style that addresses the challenges of the role, while promoting the values of transparency, equity and accountability.
All applications are to include: (a) a cover letter addressing the above stated requirements, (b) a detailed CV and certified copies of all qualifications, (c) letters of support from two colleagues who were not subordinates at any time, and (d) names and contacts of at least 3 confidential referees.
A covering letter of application addressing each of the essential (and if possible, desirable) criteria in the person specification above, evidencing how your qualifications and experience meet the requirements. This covering letter will form the main basis for shortlisting. Failure to provide this covering letter will result in your application not being considered.
To explore the post further or for any queries you may have, please contact: Katriona Williams, Principal HR Officer, Division of Human Resources.
Tel:+ (679) 3394000 ext. 2638, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Salary An attractive salary commensurate with qualifications and abilities will be negotiated with the successful applicant.
Applications must be submitted online using the University’s online job applications system which can be accessed at this address: waf.fnu.ac.fj/eoi/
Incomplete applications will not be considered, therefore your submission as a complete application must include:
- Cover letter with Job Ref. No. and Position
- Detailed CV with at least contacts of 3 referees
- Certified academic credentials & transcripts
Should you have any queries, please email on: email@example.com
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. If you have not been contacted by Fiji National University, then your application has not been successful.
Office of the Vice Chancellor
Department of Administration