Research Professor in Social Sciences
Center for Humanities and Social Sciences
Qatar University Profile:
Qatar University is the national institution of higher education in Qatar. It provides high quality undergraduate and graduate programs that prepare competent graduates, destined to shape the future of Qatar. The university community has diverse and committed faculty that teaches and conduct research, which addresses relevant local and regional challenges, advances knowledge, and contributes actively to the needs and aspirations of society.
Qatar University is an intellectual and scholarly community characterized by open discussion, the free exchange of ideas, respectful debate, and a commitment to rigorous inquiry. All members of the University - faculty, staff, and students- are expected to advance the scholarly and social values embodied by the university.
The College of Arts and Sciences(CAS) houses eleven departments, covering a wide range of undergraduate specializations in the Arts and Sciences including English Literature & Linguistics and Arabic Language, Humanities, Sociology, Social Work, Psychology, International Affairs, Policy, Planning & Development, Statistics, Chemistry, Mass Communication, Biological Sciences, Environmental Sciences, Material Science, and Sports Science. The College also houses five graduate programs in Environmental Sciences, Gulf Studies, Material Science, statistics, and Arabic Language. Additionally, the College offers a Program of Arabic for Non- Native Speakers. Also, the newly established three research centers namely Center for Social Science and Humanities, Center for Sustainable Development, and Gulf Studies Center.
It is worth mentioning that as members of QU, CAS faculty members have excellent opportunities to secure intramural and extramural funding for their research ideas. Qatar National Research Fund (QNRF) is major source of research funding, with individual project funding limit exceeding 1 million/project (5 million exceptional projects) along with student research funding programs. As the national and largest University in the country, Qatar University is the recipient of most of QNRF awards, with many research- active faculty members able to win multiple grants.
Duties & Responsibilities
The Social Sciences Coordinator in the center provide support to the social science research activities in the center and Qatar University and to the efforts to help develop/acquire/translate and transfer practical social sciences studies that addresses human behaviors associated with ensuring the productive, equitable, and environmentally sound of Qatar and the region socio-economic needs. SSCs identify social sciences related needs of the field and provide product and service recommendations to the Social Sciences in the college, QU and in the society.
SSCs strengthen will support the interdisciplinary research initiatives by encouraging faculty and graduate and undergraduate students in Qatar University, this will include preparing and providing social sciences proposals, products, services and tools in order to reach out and engage new partners; to identify key issues and needs; and to involve these partners in implementing interdisciplinary research projects initiatives. Coordinators also attempt to remove barriers to participation by non-traditional and underserved customers and partners.
Coordinate or assist with the development and coordination of social science research products either through individual initiatives or by working in work groups/teams.
Duties & Responsibilities :
- Provide feedback to the Humanities and Social Sciences Center on a regular basis regarding ideas, suggestions, and concerns.
- Network with the Center staff member.
- Work with the QU colleges, faculty and the students and others to identify and meet the development of the social science’s needs .
- Recommend, coordinate, assist in the development, and implement social sciences training as needs arise.
- Provide report, brief overviews of social sciences activities,
- Teach courses in the area of expertise.
- Contribute to various committees at the Program, College, and University level
- Contribute to the research profile of College through research publications
- Serve as student advisor
- Other responsibilities as assigned by the Head of Department
- Ph. D. in the Relevant disciplinary area
- Strong peer reviewed publication record
- Teaching experience at tertiary level
- Familiar with Educational technologies used in higher education sector
- Willingness to work with teams
- Awareness of working with people from diverse backgrounds
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Fluent in English spoken, reading and writing and fluency in Arabic is required.
- Current Curriculum Vitae.
- Cover letter.
- Teaching, research, and service philosophy.
- Three referees’ contact information (physical and email addresses as well their telephones contact).
- Copy of highest earned credential (transcript of highest degree if graduated from an institution where course work was completed. However, if no course work was completed, an copy of certificate letter from the registrar of your highest credential granting institution regarding your highest academic degree).
- Any additional documentation that you feel is relevant to your application.
- A three-year renewable contract.
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
- Tax-free salary.
- Furnished accommodation in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual round trip air tickets for faculty member and dependents in accordance with QUHR policies.
- Educational allowance for candidate's children (eligible candidates only) in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Private health care and health insurance in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual leave in accordance with QU HR policies.
- End-of-contract indemnity.
How To Apply
- Returning Applicant: Please login to update/edit your saved profile. Use this profile to apply for this position.
- New Applicant: You need to setup an account with QU Recruitment Online System and complete your personal profile. Once your profile is complete you may use it to apply for an open Position.