Department: School of Arts and Sciences
Duty station: Naryn, Kyrgyz Republic
Deadline: April 15th 2018 (Position open until filled)
The University of Central Asia (UCA) was founded in 2000 as a private, not for profit, secular university through an International Treaty signed by the Presidents of the Kyrgyz Republic, Tajikistan, and Kazakhstan, and His Highness the Aga Khan; ratified by their respective parliaments, and registered with the United Nations. The Presidents are the Patrons of the University and His Highness is the Chancellor. UCA’s mission is to promote the social and economic development of Central Asia, particularly its mountain communities, by offering an internationally recognised standard of higher education, and enabling the peoples of the region to preserve their rich cultural heritage as assets for the future. UCA brings with it the commitment and partnership of the broader Aga Khan Development Network. For more information: www.ucentralasia.org
Main Duties and Responsibilities
The University Librarian will enjoy faculty status in the School of Arts and Sciences. While the campuses are still in their foundational stages, the position offers exciting opportunities for leadership in building a strong base for the three campus libraries. This includes building the library teams’ professional expertise and ensuring that library policies and procedures are aligned to internationally recognised standards and follow best practice. The University Librarian will work closely with the faculty, analyse curricular offerings and lead on the provision of information and digital literacies and researcher development at UCA.
The specific duties and responsibilities include the following:
- Develop, implement and monitor an integrated strategic operating plan for the three campus libraries to meet user needs aligned to the university’s mission.
- Obtain an understanding of the teaching curriculum and research activities of the university and develop strong partnerships with the teaching, learning and research departments.
- Develop the library collections and services to meet the teaching, learning and research needs of students and faculty.
- Implement a user evaluation and feedback system to monitor the effectiveness of the library services and collections.
- Ensure the library space is accessible and safe and can be utilized for multiple modes of learning and research.
- Lead on developing open access research repositories for the university’s existing and future research outputs.
- Plan and develop a conservation and preservation, as well as a marketing plan, for the libraries archives and special collections.
- Work with the Aga Khan Development Network to ensure that the local collections are maintained and preserved for accessibility.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Energetic and ambitious team player, with a knowledge of international library standards and best practice, who thrives in a challenging work environment.
- A Master’s Degree in Library Science or Library and Information Science from an accredited institution or equivalent.
- Experience of teaching undergraduate students and developing researchers in information and digital literacies.
- Significant and varied experience working in multi-campus, academic libraries at a senior level.
- Affiliations with library professional organizations and research output in library and information science.
- Extensive knowledge of library management systems, preferably OCLC WMS.
- Knowledge of emerging technologies used in libraries, including Springhare’s LibGuides.
- Knowledge of and experience with outcomes and assessment of library services.
- Excellent communication skills and a demonstrated ability to work well with others in a team environment.
- Experience working in international educational institutions.
- Advanced English.
- Working knowledge of Russian would be an asset.
The University Librarian will report to the Dean of Arts and Sciences.
The position will be based in Naryn, Kyrgyz Republic and would require regional travel.
Salary and International Package
Commensurate with attracting the best candidate.
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter, CV, and contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 15th 2018. In your application e-mail subject, please write: “University Librarian” and please indicate how you heard about this position.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Review other job vacancies at: http://www.ucentralasia.org/About/CurrentVacancies
Apply for University Librarian
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly