Lecturer/Senior Lecturer, Urban Design
The Singapore campus of James Cook University is fully owned by James Cook University Australia, which is ranked in the top 2%* of universities in the world. James Cook University Australia established its Singapore campus in 2003 as part of its expressed intent of internationalising its activities and offers a suite of university level programs at the Singapore campus covering the areas of Business, Information Technology, Psychology, Education, Accounting, Arts, Aquaculture, Environmental Science, Games Design, Tourism and Hospitality.
James Cook University offers Higher Degree by Research programs# such as Doctor of Philosophy, Master of Philosophy and pathways to a higher degree.
Additionally, the campus offers courses at the pre-university level, specifically designed to provide pathways for students who are unable to immediately meet university entrance standards.
The campus is growing and very friendly and academic staff across the disciplines and administrative staff often interact. At any time, there are students on campus from at least 40 different countries, mainly from the region, but also including a growing cohort from Europe. Singapore is an interesting place to live and provides easy access to other countries in the region. The position offers the successful applicant the opportunity to expand their cultural experience, live in a fascinating and exciting city. Please visit http://www.jcu.edu.sg or http://www.jcu.edu.au for more information.
James Cook University Singapore is seeking a suitable candidate to assist in the development ofa new Master of Planning and Urban Design (MPUD). Cities are home to more than half the world’s population, and in the tropical world also have rapid population growth forecast and significant economic and social inequality. Building on JCU’s strengths in Engineering and Planning, this Master degree will focus on developing design capability in the planning of tropical cities. Staff and students will work in collaboration with governments, non-government organisations and industry to develop their design skills to find appropriate solutions for urban areas.
The Lecturer/Senior Lecturer, Urban Design will assist in the development and course coordination of the Master of Planning and Urban Design program to be offered at JCU Singapore. The incumbent will work closely with academic staff in urban and regional planning, as well from other disciplines at JCU, to develop academic offerings in urban design in tropical and developing contexts.The incumbent will have research interests in any area of urban design, with interests in urbanization and growth, the urban-ecology interface, and environmental amenity considered highly desirable. The incumbent will be training in urban planning/design or related disciplines and will have a record of professional experience in South East Asia.
- A leadership role in curriculum development and teaching.
- Course coordination.
- Supervision of major honours or postgraduate research projects.
- Supervision of the program of study for honours and postgraduate students engaged in course work.
- Research, including, where appropriate, leadership of a large research team.
- Significant contribution to the profession, and/or discipline.
Key Selection Criteria:
- A PhD in Urban Planning or a related discipline.
- A substantial publication record relative to career stage.
- Success in obtaining research funding.
- Evidence of quality teaching and supervision of students at postgraduate levels.
- The ability to teach across a range of subjects at various levels.
- Experience teaching online classes and team teaching is a plus.
- Evidence of academic leadership relative to career stage.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective relations with colleagues in an academic environment and with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Amenable to use new learning and teaching technologies.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
*The level of the position offered will be determined by the interview panel.
Enquiries: Dr K Thirumaran, Head of Academic Group – Business, Environment Science& IT:email@example.com
Employment type: Fulltime position subject to MinistryofManpower Singapore jurisdiction and probationary period
Remuneration conditions: Attractive package negotiated with successful applicant (including relocation expenses, initial accommodation costs)commensurate with qualifications and experience. Candidates should note relatively lowerSingapore taxation rates and the possibility of annual-wage-supplement equal to a month’s salary at end of calendar year.
Lecturer: SGD78 000 per annum – SGD110 000 per annum
Senior Lecturer: SGD92 000 per annum – SGD130 000 per annum
Method of Application
Applications should provide all of the following:
- up-to-date CV including research record
- full statement of qualifications
- statement systematically addressingthe Selection Criteria
- teaching profile
- recent teaching evaluations
- completed Summary Application Form
Applications without any of the above will not be considered. Please state position and reference numberapplying for in subject header and send application to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: 28 February 2018
We thank you for your interest and regret we are only able to notify shortlisted candidates. The University reserves the right to invite applications or, alternatively, not to make an appointment.
The Singapore campus of James Cook University (registered as James Cook University Pte Ltd in Singapore) is a wholly owned company of James Cook University Australia.
* The Academic Ranking of World Universities, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, 2017
# The Doctor of Psychology (Clinical Psychology) program is also available