Academic Language and Learning Coordinator
- Exciting new opportunity to work with Macquarie University International College
- Supportive and Innovative working environment
- Full-time, fixed term for 2 years
Macquarie is the university of pioneering minds.
Globally recognised as one of Australia’s leading research universities, Macquarie is a place where extraordinary new possibilities come to light. We’ve helped people to hear, introduced wireless internet technology to the world and broken through traditional boundaries by appointing Australia’s first female vice-chancellor.
At Macquarie you’ll join a vibrant community of diverse perspectives, all working towards a brighter future for our communities and our planet. Surrounded by a beautiful parkland campus, our students and staff are free to explore and discover, supported by facilities including a high-tech library, private teaching hospital, gym and pools, childcare facilities, a campus train station and the newly expanded Macquarie Centre shopping complex next door.
This is an exciting time to join the Macquarie University International College (MUIC) and the English Language Centre (ELC). MUIC provides local and international students with an alternative pathway to the University’s undergraduate degree offerings. At MUIC, students can complete a Foundation or Intensive program to enter the first year of a Macquarie University undergraduate degree, or a Diploma program to then enter the second year of a Macquarie University undergraduate degree.
The ELC prepares international students for university study through the delivery of English language and academic literacy programs. At ELC, students can study a Direct Entry preparation program, Academic English, General English or a Study Tour program as a stand-alone offering, or as preparation for university study.
MUIC and ELC are fully integrated teaching units of the University.
We are seeking a proactive and collaborative person to coordinate the development and implementation of the Academic Language and Learning initiatives for MUIC and ELC.
Reporting to the ALL Manager, the successful candidate will support the ALL Manager in developing resources, administration and delivery of identified initiatives to staff and students including:
- Coordinate the development of Academic Language and Learning (ALL) enhancement initiatives
- Deliver curricula, assessment and resources to MUIC and ELC students.
- Design and deliver targeted discipline-specific workshops in identified areas of need, f2f and/or via blended learning, in conjunction with the Independent Learning Centre.
- Develop and deliver Professional Development for the Foundation/Diploma teaching teams on embedding ALL into units and on delivering interactive classes to students with English as an additional language (EAL).
- Review, critically evaluate and improve Professional Development materials and resources.
- Provide advice to MUIC and ELC stakeholders and resolve complex issues related to ALL matters.
- Communicate and promote the program of events to students and staff.
- Collect and analyse data and report on the impact of ALL initiatives for University stakeholders.
To be considered for the position, you must submit a cover letter which addresses the criteria below and upload this, and your CV, as part of the application process:
- Degree in Applied Linguistics/TESOL/Education (TESOL) or degree in any discipline plus diploma in teaching (TESOL/Applied Linguistics) and/or equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Working as a teacher and/or researcher in a higher education environment.
- Experience in project coordination, evaluation and knowledge of project management principles and practice.
- Demonstrated research, analytical and evaluation skills, including producing reports and recommendations for key stakeholders.
- Coordinating and delivering Academic Language and Learning initiatives to English as an additional language (EAL) students in Anglophone or EMI tertiary/higher education contexts.
- Developing and implementing Professional Development to tertiary/higher education teaching staff.
- Building and managing relationships with key stakeholders.
For further information regarding this role please view the position description below.
Academic Language and Learning Coordinator PD.pdf
Salary Package: from $91,685 – $99,406 (HEW Level 7) plus 17% superannuation and annual leave loading
Appointment Type: Full-time, fixed-term for a period of 2 years.
Enquiries: Joshua Dymock, Academic Language and Learning Manager at Joshua.email@example.com
Applications Close: Sunday 4th March 2018 at 11:55pm
Macquarie University is an EO Employer committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications are encouraged from people with a disability; women (particularly for senior and non-traditional roles); Indigenous Australians, people who identify as GLBTI; and those from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.
Applications need to be submitted through the Macquarie University online recruitment system. Where circumstances such as disability or remote location prohibit your access to our online system please contact the general enquiries person listed in this advertisement for assistance.