PhD in Environmentally Assisted Cracking of Additive Manufactured Corrosion Resistant Alloys
A PhD position is available at the Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering
PhD project description:
Environmentally assisted cracking is a globally known problem, which causes material degradation. This phenomena is noticed in oil and gas industries, causing the damage in pipelines, pre-time internal cracking in offshore components because of the corrosion in aqueous solutions, contamination in the welding processes or hydrogen uptake during cathodic protection. Environmentally assisted cracking (EAC) occur in solid materials: metallic alloys, glasses, ceramics, polymers, composites. But, there is a lack of research on additive manufactured parts level of damage to EAC. Especially on industrially used corrosion resistant alloys. Selective laser sintering is relative new manufacturing technique, which is lacking the closer overview and experimental work in regards of the working environment influence during the metallic part exploitation time. A PhD project focuses on researching hydrogen environment influence on the metallic parts built by additive manufacturing, concentrating on high stress-independent cracking.
PhD project goal is to analyze environmentally assisted cracking (EAC) influence on the mechanical properties of the corrosion resistant metallic parts built by SLS. Investigate and optimize the research methods and characterization techniques of hydrogen interaction with the manufactured metallic part. Analyze crystal defects in nano- and micro- scales, observe slip mechanisms during mechanical loading in the initiation and propagation of cracking. Find the correlation between metallic parts manufacturing properties, surface preparation quality and hydrogen environment influence, characterize the stress corrosion cracking initiation in additive manufactured parts.
PhD project will be experimentally based research, which will include laboratory work with the NTNU employees and other research partners.
Applicants must hold a M.Sc. degree (or equivalent) within Material Science, Manufacturing Engineering or similar fields and have a good background knowledge of metallic materials, material properties, EAC, hydrogen embrittlement and additive manufacturing processes. The applicant should have previous experimental work experience, strong technical skills and ability to work problem-oriented tasks. Experience with advanced material characterization techniques, such as FIB is advantage. This would additional be regarded as important during applicants evaluation process.
- A highly motivated candidate with a high-grade (minimum overall grade B, corresponding to 120 credits)
- Master's degree within Material Science, Manufacturing Engineering or similar field
- Experience in additive manufacturing, especially DMLS or SLS processes
- Knowledge of the material testing and post analysis methods, previous experience in the experimental work
- Ability to work both in a research team and carry on personal research projects
- Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English
- Experience in working with advanced material characterisation methods, especially FIB, SEM, EDS
- Publications and conference attendance
- Participating in the experimental based research projects or international studying experience
- Enthusiasm of working in experimental field and excellent work ethics with co-workers and administrative staff
Conditions of appointment
The position is for 3 years and financed by the Department. The PhD candidate is obliged to take mandatory amount of courses through the PhD studying years.
PhD Candidates are remunerated in code 1017, and are normally remunerated with gross salary NOK 436 900 before tax. There will be a 2 % deduction to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund from gross wage. As a member of the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund you are offered:
- A good pension
- A favorable housing loan interest
- Good insurance schemes
Engagement as a PhD Candidate is done in accordance with “Regulation concerning terms and conditions of employment for the posts of post-doctoral research fellow, research fellow, research assistant and resident”, given by the Ministry of Education and Research of 19.07.2010. The PhD candidate will engage in an organized PhD training program, and appointment requires approval of the applicant’s plan for the PhD study within three months from the date of commencement. See http://www.ntnu.edu/iv/phd-information for more information.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants. The positions adhere to the Norwegian Government's policy of balanced ethnicity, age and gender. Persons with immigrant background are encouraged to apply. NTNU´s objective is to increase the number of females in scientific positions. Female applicants are therefore encouraged to apply.
According to the new Freedom of Information Act, information concerning the applicant may be made public even if the applicant has requested not to be included in the list of applicants.
The application documents have to be submitted electronically through www.jobbnorge.no. Applications submitted elsewhere will not be considered.
- CV (should include: relevant formal educational background, diploma‘s grade, participation in Material Science field based research projects, the skillset of material characterisation experience or microscopy skills. Any other relevant experience and skills.)
- Diploma (note that diploma supplement or similar has to be attached for degrees outside Norway), or certified transcripts of records
- Reference letters
- Motivational letter
- List of publications, conferences list and other relevant scientific work
For further information about the position, please contact:
Professor Afrooz Barnoush, firstname.lastname@example.org, tel. +47 73593807
Mark the application with IV-79/18
Application deadline is February 28th, 2018
About this job
- Deadline Wednesday, February 28, 2018
- Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
- Municipality Trondheim
- Place of service Institutt for maskinteknikk og produksjon
- Jobbnorge ID 148140
- Internal ID IV-79/18
- Scope Fulltime
- Duration Temporary
- Applications on this job are registered in an electronic form on jobbnorge.no
- You must complete: Standard CV
- Please refer to where you first saw this job advertised!