Adjunct Professor/Associate Adjunct Professor within the Strategic Research Topic Energy Storage
A position as adjunct professor or associate adjunct professor is open at the Department of Energy and Process Engineering in the Renewable Energy Group. The position is funded by the interdisciplinary research project ENERSENSE. The field of this position is intended to cover energy storage with main emphasis on electrochemical energy storage applications or biochemical energy storage applications. Interdisciplinary experience between one of these topics and towards digital solutions and/or sensors instrumentation solution will be considered beneficial.
The Renewable Energy Group consists of nearly 20 employees, including professors, associate professors, assistant professors, lecturers, PhD-students, and engineers, please see Renewable Energy Group for more information. ENERSENSE is a strategic research area with more than 15 professors (on different levels) and 14 PhD and Postdoctoral fellows, please see ENERSENSE for more information.
The employee will be working in a multidisciplinary field with focus on energy storage. The applicant must have a workplace that agrees to support her or his work effort at NTNU. The work task for the selected candidate is related to research in the field of energy storage.
Research is to be carried out as a part of the ENERSENSE initiative. ENERSENSE is a cross disciplinary strategic research initiative focusing on energy storage, energy efficiency, and sensor technology development. Currently ENERSENSE involves more than 30 researchers, including PhD-candidates, assistant-, associate-, and full professors.
The candidate is expected to
- collaborate with the people involved in ENERSENSE on research,
- facilitating collaboration with industry and other research institutions,
- writing research proposals,
- organizing workshops,
- other activities revolving around the ENERSENSE initiative.
- take initiatives to develop the unique and interdisciplinary research areas of ENERSENSE
The position does not involve specific teaching duties, but the person hired may collaborate with bachelor thesis student and master thesis students and is expected to recruit and educate PhD-candidates that are to be a part of ENERSENSE. Because of the absence of teaching duties, the competence evaluation will not put emphasis on pedagogical experience and formal qualifications. The baseline goal for ENERSENSE is to double today’s research activity for the participating staff members compared to the current scientific production.
The sought candidate is expected to contribute to this, mainly by writing (joint) applications for external funding for more PhD candidates and postdoctoral fellows. Funding will be sought in part from the European Union, through the Horizon 2020 program, or the Norwegian Research Council.
This 20% position is a 3-year appointment, with a possibility for extension by four more years. The funding is from ENERSENSE, which in turn has been granted for the period of January 2016 until the end of 2023, as long as certain requirements are met. After the first four years, there is a midway evaluation to determine how ENERSENSE is to be continued until the end of the funding period. As long as ENERSENSE is continued, the position can be extended.
- The department seeks someone with expertise within electrochemical energy storage applications, but other additional experience with renewable energy storage technologies such as biofuels and hydrogen storage will be considered in addition.
- Track record of collaboration with partners in the fields of energy efficiency and sensor technology is considered an advantage.
- The ideal candidate has experience with European research projects, preferably as an administrator of projects under the Horizon 2020, FP7, or equivalent frameworks.
- The ability to fit in and collaborate in an existing ENERSENSE team, is required.
- Relevant experience from industry and academia is considered equivalent, but experience from both will be preferred. It is expected that the candidate has a strong background in the field.
- It is expected that relevant candidates have professional proficiency in English, both written and oral.
The evaluation of candidates will be based on documented experience and results documented by the candidates. A background that will fit well in the framework of ENERSENSE is a prerequisite. Quality and impact of previous research will be particularly valued.
The successful applicant for a professorship must be able to document his/her extensive disciplinary qualifications in important fields within the discipline. His/her individual work must document scientific expertise in one or more parts of the discipline, particularly the specialist fields the Professorship has specific responsibility for. Weight will be placed on the ability to supervise and initiate research and development work.
The applicants that have been short-listed will be invited for interviews.
The Professor is to be jointly responsible for disciplinary matters together with other academic staff in the Department. The Professor is to supervise masters students, research fellows and doctoral candidates in his/her discipline.
Adjunct professorships are remunerated with 20 % of a full-time position, with a minimum gross salary of NOK 121 080 per year.
Adjunct associate professorships are remunerated with 20 % of a full-time position, with a minimum gross salary of NOK 97 140 per year.
There will be a 2 % deduction to The Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund from gross salary.
Commencement as soon as possible.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants. The positions adhere to the Norwegian Government's policy of balanced ethnicity, age and gender. Persons with immigrant background are encouraged to apply. NTNU´s objective is to increase the number of females in scientific positions. Female applicants are therefore encouraged to apply.
Applicants have to apply with a cover letter describing the motivation for being a part of ENERSENSE, as well as a brief description of how her/his research and experience will help promote ENERSENSE.
Applications in English with CV, possible publications and other scientific works, certified copies of transcripts and reference letters should be submitted via this webpage at www.jobbnorge.no. In addition, the candidates have to attach up to 10 relevant peer reviewed journal papers, and an up to three-page research vision letter within energy storage.
For further information please contact Professor Odne Burheim tel; +47 73 41 24 17, email; firstname.lastname@example.org
Mark the application with IV-73/18.
Application deadline is 23 February 2018.
According to the new Freedom of Information Act, information concerning the applicant may be made public even if the applicant has requested not to be included in the list of applicants.
NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
About this job
- Deadline Friday, February 23, 2018
- Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
- Municipality Trondheim
- Place of service Department of energy and process engineering
- Jobbnorge ID 146877
- Internal ID 2018/61
- Scope Part time
- Duration Temporary
- Applications on this job are registered in an electronic form on jobbnorge.no
- You must complete: Academic CV
- Please refer to where you first saw this job advertised!