Description of Work Unit
As an academic department at Colorado State University we conduct research in the area of Human Dimensions of Natural Resources (HDNR) and prepare students for careers in conservation leadership and tourism. This area of study focuses on understanding and attending to the needs and values of humans, human society, and culture as they relate to the natural environment. HDNR has more than 90 years of collaborative research in parks and protected areas and contributes to informed decision making while conveying a broad-based understanding of the way humans value, use and depend on the natural environment. HDNR is one of the few programs in the United States that offers a comprehensive bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral program.
The mission of the department of Human Dimensions of Natural Resources is to contribute to the conservation, stewardship and enjoyment of natural and cultural resources and the management of those resources in a way that produces both land health and sustainable human benefits.
As a part of Colorado State University, The Department of Human Dimensions is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and Colorado State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action.
This position will assist with implementing and collaborate on program planning, development, and strategic communications in the Department of Human Dimensions of Natural Resources (HDNR). Responsibilities encompass assisting in the promotion and marketing of HDNR programs, webpage design and maintenance, and student recruitment. Duties also include assisting in the strategic development of opportunities as related to the department’s undergraduate, graduate, research, and outreach programs.
Other duties include grant writing development and advancement to support departmental research, outreach efforts, program support, and student scholarships.
This position reports directly to HDNR Communication Coordinator and HDNR Department Head.
Required Job Qualifications
- Recipient must have a bachelor’s degree in Natural Resources, Communications, Hospitality/Tourism, or related field.
- Experience coordinating conferences, events and complex projects.
- Experience in communications or marketing.
- Must have a valid driver’s license or the ability to obtain a driver’s license or access to a licensed driver by the employment start date
Preferred Job Qualifications
- Demonstrated ability to plan, organize, and manage large events/conferences.
- Demonstrated ability to organize, prioritize, and manage multiple work projects and types of activities while meeting deadlines.
- Proficiency of Adobe CC products (particularly InDesign) or similar graphic design programs, web CMS, and proficiency in MS Office programs.
- Experience in fundraising and grant writing.
- Social media management experience.
- Experience working in academia.
- Experience developing and managing annual budgets.
- Experience with web page design and graphic design.
- Commitment to enhancing diversity and inclusion.
Reflecting departmental and institutional values, candidates are expected to have the ability to advance the Department’s commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Job Duty Category
Conference and Event Management
- Position is responsible for visioning and planning for a yearly average of 1.5 large conferences (250-650 attendees), held nationally and internationally, as well as several local workshops and symposia through the year.
- Position is responsible for budget creation, monitoring, and negotiating within the allocated funds.
- Position collaborates on the management of every aspect of the event, and creating applicable reports for various stakeholders.
- Position collaborates on comparison and selection of venues, purveyors, and vendors necessary for event.
- Position is responsible for conference contract negotiations, up to the amount allowable by CSU.
- Position is responsible to spearhead event promotion/marketing and website management, with collaboration with Communication Coordinator
- Position collaborates on abstract call, submissions, and final selections.
- Position oversees organized sessions call, submissions, and final selection.
- Position oversees event registration.
- Position collaborates on the selection of plenary speakers and trainers; event dependent.
- Position is responsible for fund raising for scholarships and oversees recipient recruitment, selection, and awarding of funds
- Position collaborates on oversite of detailed logistics planning, implementation, and management.
- Position provides oversight for volunteer recruitment, training, and management
- Position is responsible for student staff and intern recruitment and management and is the sole hiring authority
- Position collaborates on detailed event reporting, closing out of accounts, and rendering or receiving payments as necessary.
Percentage Of Time
Job Duty Category
- Position collaborates on print, web, and digital content creation, curation, and marketing for HDNR outreach efforts.
- Position collaborates on strategy creation and placement of paid out-bound advertising and the creation and maintenance of original content for a robust inbound marketing strategy to increase HDNR’s presence as a thought leader in our field through communication to various stakeholders about HDNR outreach efforts.
- Position is responsible for increasing ROI for all outbound marketing ad-sets and campaigns through detailed analysis of metrics from advertising channels and google analytics.
- Position works collaboratively and at times under the direction of HDNR Communication Coordinator.
- Maintain brand best practices with Colorado State University Communications and Creative Services and work in conjunction with WCNR/HDNR communications.
Percentage Of Time
Job Duty Category
- Position is responsible for soliciting sponsorship and support for HDNR Outreach efforts, which includes but is not limited to: conferences, workshops, symposia, stakeholder events, trainings, and HDNR associated Centers.
- Position is responsible for building positive relationships with donors, alumni, and friends of HDNR.
- Position is responsible for grant-writing for HDNR scholarships, special projects and initiatives.
Percentage Of Time
Special Instructions to Applicants
For full consideration please apply by 3/5/2018. A complete application consists of:
- Cover letter that addresses the candidate’s experience/training related to the job description and qualifications
- Three professional references
- Samples of graphic design and/or popular press and/or science writing samples, fundraising/grant-writing samples, documents or links to conference/events that you have managed. Please upload the samples as one combined document in the “Other” required document section.
References will not be contacted without prior notification of candidates.
Conditions of Employment
Pre-employment Criminal Background Check (required for new hires)
Alan Bright: Alan.Bright@colostate.edu
Colorado State University is committed to providing an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based on race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy and will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Colorado State University is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and Colorado State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. The Office of Equal Opportunity is located in 101 Student Services.
The Title IX Coordinator is the Executive Director of the Office of Support and Safety Assessment, 123 Student Services Building, Fort Collins, CO 80523 -2026, (970) 491-7407.
The Section 504 and ADA Coordinator is the Associate Vice President for Human Capital, Office of Equal Opportunity, 101 Student Services Building, Fort Collins, CO 80523-0160, (970) 491-5836.
Background Check Policy Statement
Colorado State University (CSU) strives to provide a safe study, work, and living environment for its faculty, staff, volunteers and students. To support this environment and comply with applicable laws and regulations, CSU conducts background checks. The type of background check conducted varies by position and can include, but is not limited to, criminal (felony and misdemeanor) history, sex offender registry, motor vehicle history, financial history, and/or education verification. Background checks will be conducted when required by law or contract and when, in the discretion of the university, it is reasonable and prudent to do so.