Teaching Assistant of Math
Foundation Program Department of Mathematics
Qatar University Profile:
Qatar University is the premier national institution of higher education with a mission to produce well-rounded graduates with academic knowledge of quality and excellence coupled with a keen spirit of volunteerism and civic responsibility. This is underpinned by committed leadership and an experienced and motivated faculty and staff body.
As part of the on-going educational reform project and continuing program expansion, Qatar University is making a substantial investment in education by attracting diverse faculty, and enhancing teaching and research. The Mission of the University’s Foundation Program is to prepare high school graduates to meet Qatar University's common entrance requirements in English, Math, and Computing. Challenging program requirements, instructional technology, e-learning platforms and student support activities are all used to equip students with the necessary skills to pursue competitive college programs. With more than 3000 students and 200 faculty and staff, the Foundation Program offers a dynamic, innovative and professional work environment.
Duties & Responsibilities
The teaching assistant in the Foundation Program Department of Math is expected to perform the duties listed as below.
- Assist in teaching foundation and post-foundation math courses, where working load (35 hours/week) as in accordance with Qatar University regulations for the “Teaching Assistant” position.
- Assist in running course’s lab sessions.
- Initiate, facilitate and moderate classroom discussions, as well as conduct classes in a predominantly learner-centered, culturally appropriate approach.
- Maintain professional relationships with students at all times, and demonstrate cultural awareness/sensitivity as appropriate.
- Collaborate with the head of the department, the coordinators of Math courses and the at-risk student’s facilitator in all assigned duties.
- Participate actively and contribute effectively in committees assigned at the department/Foundation Program/university levels.
- Maintain professional development through active participation and contribution to professional development sessions, and the subsequent implementation of new knowledge and skills effectively in teaching and student support.
- Adhere to Qatar University policies and regulations stated in the Faculty Handbook and other published documents by the university.
A Bachelor or Master’s degree from a distinguished university in Mathematics or in a related specialization where Math is a major part of the study.
A Minimum of 3 years teaching experience at university/tertiary level.
The following should be clearly highlighted in the CV of the applicant:
- Ability to teach in English.
- Fluency in both English* and Arabic.
- Competent in using E-learning course management system packages.
- Good IT skills and ability to use current applications such as Microsoft Office.
- Experience in using diverse and effective teaching/learning methods, with special emphasis on student-centered learning.
- Experience in working with first year university students.Ability to work in a multi-cultural learning environment.
- Very good interpersonal and communication skills.
*Minimum of 70 points in iBT or 6.0 in IELTS.
- Curriculum Vitae with cover letter.
- Experience Certificates.
- At least three references including contact numbers and email addresses.
- Current Curriculum Vitae.
- Cover letter.
- Teaching, research, and service philosophy.
- Three referees’ contact information (physical and email addresses as well their telephones contact).
- Copy of highest earned credential (transcript of highest degree if graduated from an institution where course work was completed. However, if no course work was completed, an copy of certificate letter from the registrar of your highest credential granting institution regarding your highest academic degree).
- Any additional documentation that you feel is relevant to your application.
- Competitive tax-free salary.
- Housing allowance in accordance with HRM Law.
- Annual round trip air tickets for candidate and dependents according to HRM Law.
- Public health care and health insurance to candidate and family members.
- Annual leave in accordance with HRM Law.
- End-of-contract indemnity.
- A three-year renewable contract.
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
- Tax-free salary.
- Furnished accommodation in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual round trip air tickets for faculty member and dependents in accordance with QUHR policies.
- Educational allowance for candidate's children (eligible candidates only) in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Private health care and health insurance in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual leave in accordance with QU HR policies.
- End-of-contract indemnity.
How To Apply
- Returning Applicant: Please login in QU Recruitment Online website (https://careers.qu.edu.qa) to update/edit your saved profile. Use this profile to apply for this position.
- New Applicant: You need to setup an account with QU Recruitment Online website (https://careers.qu.edu.qa) and complete your personal profile. Once your profile is complete you may use it to apply for an open Position.