Lecturer of Math
Department Name Foundation Program Department of Mathematics
Qatar University Profile
Qatar University is the premier national institution of higher education with a mission to produce well-rounded graduates with academic knowledge of quality and excellence coupled with a keen spirit of volunteerism and civic responsibility. Qatar University provides high quality undergraduate and graduate programs. Qatar University offers academic programs that prepare educated, enlightened and qualified human resources in order to realize the developmental needs of the society. This is reinforced by a committed leadership and an experienced and motivated faculty and staff body. The university community has diverse and committed faculty that uses different teaching strategies, publishes high quality research in leading journals and contributes actively to the needs of society. Work atmosphere at Qatar University is built on mutual respect, free exchange of ideas and open discussion. All members of the University - faculty, staff, and students from different nationalities respect the traditions and customs of the Qatari society.
Foundation Program Profile
The mission of the Foundation Program is to provide Qatar University students with required knowledge of English and Mathematics through active learning. The Foundation Program aims to equip students with critical thinking, problem solving and study skills through student-centered approaches. The Foundation Program serves as the bridge for students transitioning from high school to university by building their communication skills, English and Mathematics proficiency to levels required by different colleges at Qatar University. Over the years, the Foundation Program has proven to be very pro-active and consistently encourages programmatic improvements and enhancements to better serve the student population.
Foundation Program Department of Math Profile
The Foundation Program Department of Mathematics (FPDM) offers two courses, Elementary Algebra (Basics of Mathematics, Solving different types of equations and inequalities) and Pre-Calculus (Different types of Functions, their properties and Trigonometry). The objective of the program is to provide students with a solid foundation in mathematical skills in preparation for their subsequent entry into academic programs at Qatar University. Through the use of various e-learning course management tools and an interactive learning environment, FPDM offers and maintains an innovative learning and teaching environment which develops students’ critical thinking skills, promotes independent as well as lifelong learning capabilities, and equips students with the mathematical skills required for productive participation in society.
Duties & Responsibilities
The lecturer in the Foundation Program Department of Math is expected to perform the duties listed as below.
- Teach foundation and post-foundation math courses, at any time and on any campus during University working hours, where teaching load as in accordance with Qatar University regulations for the “Lecturer” position.
- Use innovative approaches in learning and teaching to help develop students’ Math skills and good study practices in order to improve their performance in future Math courses.
- Initiate, facilitate and moderate classroom discussions, as well as conduct classes in a predominantly learner-centered, culturally appropriate approach.
- Maintain professional relationships with students at all times, and demonstrate cultural awareness/sensitivity as appropriate.
- Collaborate with colleagues in the department to develop course curriculum, program delivery and teaching methodology.
- Participate actively and contribute effectively in committees assigned at the department/ Foundation Program/ university levels.
- Maintain professional development through active participation and contribution to professional development sessions, and the subsequent implementation of new knowledge and skills effectively in teaching and student support.
- Collaborate with the head of the department and the coordinators of Math courses in all assigned duties.
- Adhere to Qatar University policies and regulations stated in the Faculty Handbook and other published documents by the university.
A Master or preferably PhD degree from a distinguished university in Mathematics or in a related specialization where Math is a major part of the study.div> A Minimum of 3 years teaching experience at university/tertiary level.
The following should be clearly highlighted in the CV of the applicant:
- Ability to teach in English.
- Fluency in both English and Arabic.
- Competent in using E-learning course management system packages.
- Good IT skills and ability to use current applications such as Microsoft Office.
- Experience in using diverse and effective teaching/learning methods, with special emphasis on student-centered learning methods.
- Experience in testing and assessment, curriculum development and student learning outcomes assessment process.
- Experience in working with first year university students.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural learning environment.
- Very good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Curriculum Vitae with cover letter.
- Experience Certificates.
- At least three references including contact numbers and email addresses.
- Current Curriculum Vitae.
- Cover letter.
- Teaching, research, and service philosophy.
- Three referees’ contact information (physical and email addresses as well their telephones contact).
- Copy of highest earned credential (transcript of highest degree if graduated from an institution where course work was completed. However, if no course work was completed, an copy of certificate letter from the registrar of your highest credential granting institution regarding your highest academic degree).
- Any additional documentation that you feel is relevant to your application.
- Competitive tax-free salary.
- Housing allowance in accordance with HRM Law.
- Annual round trip air tickets for candidate and dependents according to HRM Law.
- Public health care and health insurance to candidate and family members.
- Annual leave in accordance with HRM Law.
- End-of-contract indemnity.
- A three-year renewable contract.
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
- Tax-free salary.
- Furnished accommodation in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual round trip air tickets for faculty member and dependents in accordance with QUHR policies.
- Educational allowance for candidate's children (eligible candidates only) in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Private health care and health insurance in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual leave in accordance with QU HR policies.
- End-of-contract indemnity.
How To Apply
- Returning Applicant: Please login in QU Recruitment Online website (https://careers.qu.edu.qa) to update/edit your saved profile. Use this profile to apply for this position.
- New Applicant: You need to setup an account with QU Recruitment Online website (https://careers.qu.edu.qa) and complete your personal profile. Once your profile is complete you may use it to apply for an open Position.