Assistant/Associate/Professor of Strategic Communication/ Public Relations/Advertising
Mass Communication Department
Qatar University Profile:
Qatar University is the premier national institution of higher education with a mission to produce well-rounded graduates with academic knowledge of quality and excellence coupled with a keen spirit of volunteerism and civic responsibility. This is underpinned by committed leadership and an experienced and motivated faculty and staff body.
The College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) houses ten departments, covering a wide range of undergraduate specializations in the Arts and Sciences including English Literature & Linguistics and Arabic Languages, History, Sociology, Social Work, International Affairs, Mass Communication , Psychology , Policy, Planning & Development , Statistics, Chemistry, Biological Sciences, Environmental Sciences, Public Health , Biomedical Sciences and Human Nutrition. The College also houses four Master Programs which are in Environmental Sciences, Biomedical Sciences, Gulf Studies, and Arabic Language. In Fall 2013, CAS will launch a new master program in Material Sciences and a PhD in Biological and Environmental Sciences. Additionally, the College offers a Program of Arabic for Non- Native Speakers.
It is worth mentioning that as members of QU, CAS faculty members have excellent opportunities to secure intramural and extramural funding for their research ideas. Qatar National Research Fund (QNRF) is major source of research funding, with individual project funding limit exceeding 1 million/project (5 million exceptional projects) along with student research funding programs. As the national and largest University in the country, Qatar University is the recipient of most of QNRF awards, with many research- active faculty members able to win multiple grants.
The Department of Mass Communication at Qatar University is one of very few departments accredited by ACEJMC outside of the USA. It offers a Bachelor of Arts program with three areas of specialization: Print/Online Journalism, Strategic Communication, and Broadcast
The Department of Mass Communication at Qatar University invites applications for Assistant Professor/Associate Professor / Professor in Strategic Communication (public relations/ advertising).
The Department expects the successful applicant to be able to:
- teach PR and advertising classes in both Arabic and English
- build curriculum and direction/vision for PR (Strategic communication) in the Arab world
- supervise strategic communication graduation projects
- guide students toward successful internships and jobs in PR/advertising industries
- conduct scholarly research
- participate in department/college/university committees
Required Knowledge/Skills/Abilities for the Public relations/ advertising position
An earned doctorate in mass communication or a doctorate in Strategic Communication (public relations/advertising), plus a college-level teaching experience in this area. Professional experience in advertising or PR-related work is preferred and experience with the use of social media for PR is a plus.
The successful candidate is expected to have professional experience in planning, implementing and managing PR and/or advertising campaigns. Preferably someone with consultancy record in PR and Advertising companies.
The department seeks a candidate whose teaching style supports a diverse student body. Besides teaching the general communication courses, the successful candidate is expected to teach all or some of the following courses: Principles of PR, Principles of Advertising, Strategic Communication, Public Relations Writing, Advertising Copy Writing and /or Advertising Layout and Design.
Responsibilities will include a teaching load of three to four courses per semester. In addition to teaching, the candidate is expected to conduct research, produce professional and creative quality work, and to spearhead initiatives to integrate new and emerging production techniques in undergraduate curricula . The candidate should have a commitment to excellent teaching and college services.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Contribute to various committees at the Department, College, and University levels
- Contribute to the research profile of the College through research and creative endeavors.
- Serve as student advisor
- Other responsibilities as assigned by the Head of Department
- Supervise student graduation projects/internships
- Engage in quality research/creative work
- An earned Doctorate in Communications with specialization in Strategic communication/Public Relations/ or advertising.
- Teaching experience at tertiary level
- Professional experience in the field of strategic communication/ PR and/ or advertising
- Strong peer-reviewed publication record
- Current Curriculum Vitae.
- Cover letter.
- Teaching, research, and service philosophy.
- Three referees’ contact information (physical and email addresses as well their telephones contact).
- Copy of highest earned credential (transcript of highest degree if graduated from an institution where course work was completed. However, if no course work was completed, an copy of certificate letter from the registrar of your highest credential granting institution regarding your highest academic degree).
- Any additional documentation that you feel is relevant to your application.
- A three-year renewable contract.
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
- Tax-free salary.
- Furnished accommodation in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual round trip air tickets for faculty member and dependents in accordance with QUHR policies.
- Educational allowance for candidate's children (eligible candidates only) in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Private health care and health insurance in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual leave in accordance with QU HR policies.
- End-of-contract indemnity.
How To Apply
- Returning Applicant: Please login in QU Recruitment Online website (https://careers.qu.edu.qa) to update/edit your saved profile. Use this profile to apply for this position.
- New Applicant: You need to setup an account with QU Recruitment Online website (https://careers.qu.edu.qa) and complete your personal profile. Once your profile is complete you may use it to apply for an open Position.