Associate Professor in History of Religions
The Department of Philosophy and Religious Studies invites application for a temporary position as Associate Professor in History of Religions, starting from 15.08.2018. Associate Professor is the standard entry-level grade within the Norwegian university system for scholars already holding a doctorate.
The Department of Philosophy and Religious studies is part of the Faculty of Humanities at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), which is located at the Dragvoll campus in Trondheim. The department consists of two sections: Philosophy, and History of Religions. History of Religions offers teaching up to PhD-level. The department currently employs 22 permanent, full-time academic staff and 15 Research Fellows.
More information about the department may be found on https://www.ntnu.edu/ifr.
Applicants must hold competence for research, teaching, and communicating to the public History of Religions with a focus on Buddhism. Apart from the necessary administrative work, the position consists of an equal workload of teaching and research.
The temporary position will primarily be expected to teach an introductory level course in South Asian religions and an intermediate level course in Buddhism. He or she will be required to participate in teaching activities in accordance with the relevant curricula, and to assist in further developing the teaching program.
The successful applicant will enjoy freedom to follow their own research preferences within the research part of the position.
The position as Associate Professor is placed in code 1011 in the State salary regulations, and is remunerated according to the State salary scale, with gross salary at present from NOK 490.900,- to NOK 722.400,- per year (normally in the range NOK 537.700,- to NOK 600.200,-). Two percent of gross salary is deducted and paid into the State pension scheme.
The appointment will be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State employees and civil servants.
It is policy within the State sector that employees should come from backgrounds that reflect as fully as possible the diversity of the population at large. The State has accordingly set the goal of a workforce whose composition reflects that of the population at large with regard to age and gender. It has also set itself the goal of recruiting employees with an immigrant background, and such individuals are encouraged to apply for this post.
You may request to have your name withheld from public access. If you wish to do so, you must explain why your application should be treated as confidential. If you request that your name be withheld from public access, your request will be considered in relation to the Open File Act § 25. If your request to have your name kept from public access is denied, you will be so informed and you will be given the opportunity to withdraw your application.
The application must be sent electronically through the website Jobbnorge (http://jobbnorge.no), and be marked with HF 18-003, which is the file number for the position.
Please note: Applications that are not sent through Jobbnorge and/or are sent after the application deadline will not be taken into consideration.
The application must include:
- An updated CV, including three references with contact information
- A complete list of publications with bibliographical references
- 3 items of academic work
- A description of your most significant academic work that the evaluation committee should pay particular attention to, including but not necessarily limited to the 3 works referred to below. Joint work will be evaluated. If it is difficult to identify your contribution in a joint work, please enclose a short descriptive summary of your contribution
- Details of pedagogical qualifications in accordance with the relevant guidelines ("Documentation of an applicant’s pedagogical qualifications") which can be accessed here: https://www.ntnu.edu/vacancies/pedagogical-qualifications
- Certified copies of exams, certificates and testimonials from former employers
- Other relevant information
The top-ranked applicants will be invited to demonstrate their pedagogical skills by means of a trial lecture, and to participate in an on-campus interview.
For further information:
For information about the application process, please contact Åse Marit Skarholt at the Faculty of Humanities, phone: +47 73 59 76 73, e-mail: email@example.com.
Application deadline: February 25th, 2018
About this job
- Deadline Sunday, February 25, 2018
- Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
- Municipality Trondheim
- Place of service NTNU Dragvoll
- Jobbnorge ID 147821
- Internal ID 2018/3521
- Scope Fulltime
- Duration Temporary
- Applications on this job are registered in an electronic form on jobbnorge.no
- You must complete: Academic CV
- Please refer to where you first saw this job advertised!