Clinician/Supervision Instructor, Oral Hygiene
The Clinician / Supervision Instructor, Oral Hygiene supports all aspects of the Dental program through the provision of Oral Hygiene instructions and supervision to students. The incumbent provides operational management during clinical days of the postgraduate program, and liaises with the dental profession, other dental technicians and external parties.
James Cook University
Division of Tropical Health and Medicine
College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Plan, demonstrate and implement Oral Hygiene instructions in a clinical setting as well as in workshops and tutorials within the dentistry programs.
- Operational management during postgraduate clinical days to ensure the smooth running of the clinics. Including the ordering of consumables, ensuring that the equipment functions and is maintained and that the environment is clean and tidy.
- Support the delivery of lectures, seminars and small group teaching by academic and adjunct staff through the preparation of teaching materials.
- Production of components to support the treatment of patients by students in Queensland Health Dental Clinics.
- Support the University's commitment to the principles of reconciliation, which exemplify respect for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander heritage and the valuing of justice and equity for all Australians.
- Demonstrate a commitment to the University values.
- Support the principles of the TropEco program and engage in commitment to JCU sustainability goals and objectives.
There are generic responsibilities that apply to all James Cook University staff.
- The Clinician / Supervision Instructor, Oral Hygiene is required to observe the lawful and reasonable directions, policies and decisions of the University Council, understand and comply with the Enterprise Agreement, the Statutes and Rules of the University, the policies and decisions of the University Council and other appropriate University authorities, as in force from time to time.
- The Clinician / Supervision Instructor, Oral Hygiene is required to demonstrate a personal commitment to ensure personal safety and the safety of others and contribute to the continuous improvement of our WHS performance. This includes the effective implementation and compliance with James Cook University WHS policies, procedures and safe systems of work, together with all relevant legislation, duties and obligations. Contribute to the continuous improvement of our WHS performance.
- The Clinician / Supervision Instructor, Oral Hygiene is required to exercise proper discretion in all matters affecting the well-being of the University which involve public writing or speaking in accordance with the University’s Code of Conduct.
- It is a requirement of this position that the incumbent is registered to practice as a dental hygienist or oral health therapist with AHPRA.
Selection and appointments will be assessed against selection criteria.
- A degree or diploma in Oral Health or a related field and at least five years’ experience, or a combination of education and experience.
- Experience in instructing and supervising undergraduate dental students.
- Experience in operational management during clinical teaching sessions.
- Well-developed written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work with limited direction and achieve results when facing competing priorities in a clinical and teaching environment.
- A relevant teaching qualification.
- An understanding of the health system and health service delivery, particularly in north Queensland.